$100.00 Detector?

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Ok, long story short. I know the upper/mid range detectors pretty well, but lack knowledge of the lower end of the scale. My sister has decided that she wants a detector of Christmas. I don't think that she is going to ever be a hardcore hunter, therefore I am going to get her the best $100.00 detector that I can find. She is going to be hunting in the GA, AL, and TN tri-state area with my step-father who hunts a Tracker IV. He hunts maybe 1 time a month. Got the idea? I have the new Kellyco catalog, but we all know how sales ads rate their own detectors. I want real world ideas.

Anyway, any suggestions will be looked at and all will be HIGHLY appreciated! (more likely to spend 100-150 bucks)

Upvote 0

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi, Check ebay and see what is listed. Try to stick to a name brand like Tesoro, Garrett, Whites, Minelab, BH, you get the idea. You may be able to find a very nice used unit at a fraction of the price for new. And get a better detector to boot!!!!!
HH
Greg

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Maybe you and step-father could go together and pop $200 for the Ace 250? I just gave my old one to my son and I miss it already. From reading the reviews and comments on here, everyone thinks it's a great entry-level machine.
If she does fade away, you might come in to a slightly used machine for your back-up.
Just a thought...

grizzly bare

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
That's a thought Griz. I was actually wondering about the ACE 150. I haven't heard anything about it really, but it is in the right range. My other thought was to get her a Tracker IV so my step dad can show her the ropes a bit easier. Greg, that is a good idea, but I wanted to stay away from used machines because it is a gift and well.... you would just have to know my sister! LOL Thanks for the advise guys! Anyone else have ideas? ???

L

lowbudget

Ace 150 easy to learn, name brand, right price range, resell value.

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
I got the walmart BH for my son last year for Christmas. He never did get into it, so when my Minelab was in the shop, I used it. Made a few finds with it and it took care of the cravings. LOL I really liked the ID screen, which my higher end detector doesn't have.

vicki

Z

ZumbroKid

For other reviews go google, then type in metal detector reviews. You should find a site the gives both sides of the story.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're really brave and like to venture into the unknown...you could try this baby? ;D
You can order it FOB Shanghai for under $100. LOL

Attachments

• china.jpg
    china.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 288

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't mind trying one out but don't think I'll order anytime soon.

I own a couple cheaper Chinese machines and they actually are very nice for the money. But I know nothing about this model.

They claim it will detect quarter sized targets at 15+ inches deep.

If I had money to burn I'd take a chance.

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Ok, I am betwixt and between....... Get the Tracker IV and there will be common ground and a coach to help her out. Get the 150 and there will be different machines covering the same ground which will increase the finds. Personally, I think the Garrett machine will be a better hunter just because of Garrett's reputation. There is a fifteen dollar price difference between the two. I think I am leaning toward the ACE 150. I give this post until tomorrow morning to let people give some more input. Then I will be placing an order!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The Ace 150 is a very good machine. I sold a new one still in the box a couple months ago for $110 on ebay. Only one guy in Europe bid on it. I got it free with my new Minelab from KellyCo so I did Okay.

I hear it gets the same depth as the 250. It's just missing some bells, etc.

In that price range I know of nothing that can match the 150.

I look for Garrett to do some simple changes and jack the prices on both the 250 and 150. I think they're a little sorry they listed them so low in the first place.

If we knew what it really cost to make a detector....well, maybe it's best we don't ::) Maybe $50 for the top machines???

Dallas

Oct 2, 2005
Clatskanie, Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zeb; I don't think you could have made a better choice.....as one fellow said, it is just as deep as the 250.....takes the same larg and small coils...and is very popular if you decide you want to sell it.She will love it...Dallas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread