How to take your detector on a plane?

GYirga

Mar 11, 2006
I have booked my first plane trip that I need to take my detector on. How have you handled checking your detector on your past trips?
Is it best to pack it securly in your checked luggage? Do you need to tell them it is packed? Are there any restrictions to checking it? Would I be better off just sending it down on UPS so it is there when I arrive? I don't have a hardshell case that I can check as a seperate bag and am just looking for the easiest, cheapest way to get it to our vacation spot.
Any help will be appreciated.

Upvote 0

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Just say its a bomb......

I thought about saying that with my pump..... They did i scan... head to toe....

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I definitely suggest you do not pack it in your checked baggage. One of two things can happen. It can get broken or stolen. I always take mine as carry-on. I typically pack the coil, and put the main housing without batteries in my carry-on bag. I've travelled international this way without the slightest of issues.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Philvis said:
I definitely suggest you do not pack it in your checked baggage. One of two things can happen. It can get broken or stolen. I always take mine as carry-on. I typically pack the coil, and put the main housing without batteries in my carry-on bag. I've travelled international this way without the slightest of issues.

There ya go... and I would have packed the whole thing - but instead have mailed it every time. LOL

Great first hand experience.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually pack it in the hardcase. Pick up batteries on the other end. Having the instruction manual & a couple brochures in with it seems to help the less informed TSA people

midnightcaller

Apr 13, 2005
Snohomish Area
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab
I have put mine in my checked baggage I never had a problem with it getting lost or stolen or with Homeland Security I fly on major airlines only
I also take my police scanner and ham radio hand held never had a problem

Gary66

Jul 30, 2009
Belle Vernon PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido and Conquistador. Whites TR-Disc, Eagle 2 SL 90, Eagle Spectrum, XLT and M6. Garrett GTAx 1000pm, Garrett Pro Pointer. Compass XP-Pro. Fisher CZ-6A. Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and Sharpshooter.
I usually carry mine on as well...

You should have seen the fun I had getting a black powder pistol through customs the right way...Had to be in a metal container.....had to have no cylinder packed with it...had to have a big metal lock on the metal container.......went on and on.....Wasn't worth the trouble.

Getting a detector through those guys isn't an issue...believe me...lol :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions