How to Approach?

porchdawg

Nov 7, 2005
Warner Robins, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTA 1350
I have had my eye on an old antebellum home in my area about circa 1850. The home is now up for sale. I want to get permission to hunt it and have even created a letter of request. The owners are older generation. He was or still is a lawyer. I found out from a real estate friend of mine they request the property to be shown by appointment and they must be pre-qualified. My questions are what would be the best way to approach this couple and convince them to let me search their property. Should I offer to split any find with them if the agree, and finally where would be the best place to begin searching? The property incompases about 5 acres, it is farm land and woods ???

Upvote 0

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just approach the owners (not the Realtor) and explain what you would like to do. Be yourself.
I always tell property owners that I will be carefull to retrieve (not dig) the objects. I offer to showthem everything found, and I always tell them that I will let them know when I am done detecting.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would send that letter to the owner and see what happens. i wouldnt offer to give anything to anyone unless i had to. that doesnt mean you cant give them something as a token of your appeciation though.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I like to approach the land owner outside.

However This Coming Year I already Have 30 or More Places for Next year.

And Alot of them are Abandond (They Have Owners, But Are in Dispair)

SO I'm Going to Send Each one a S.A.S.E. along with a Brief History of their Place.

And a Request To Search.

OH, By The Way, I NEVER bring up Sharing. IF they do I say "SURE"? ;D
? But I Don't Remember anyone actually Meaning? it.
? ? ? ?OTHER THEN a CATHOLIC CHURCH.
? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I figure IF I send 50 or so Requests out in Febuary, By Spring I should Have at Least a 10% Response.

Attachments

• PineGroveTwp_MexicoRd..jpg
    PineGroveTwp_MexicoRd..jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 239

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I agree with BK. Be yourself and remember that you're a saleman-you're selling yourself. The worst they can do is say no. In which case, you can put it on the back burner for now and wait for new owners and try again. If he is or was a lawyer and wants something in writing about finds then make sure the contract is straight forward and is not full of loopholes in case you find something of high valuse. Just my 2 cents. HH and good luck. stoney 56

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REMEMBER.

IF you send a Letter.

INCLUDE a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope & your Phone Number.

IF the Person Is Long Distance, Suggest They Send you Their Fhone Number, With The COMMENT.

that way it will be at your cost.

? ?This Makes People More Open, As they will realise It Isn't going to cost them anything.

IF your approaching in person, Have a Big Smile & Hello Ready, And Don't be afraid to Brag how much you love their place & your Hobby.

? ? ? ? ? JEFF

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Just a quick question..........There are a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of old abandond farm sites here. How can I find out who owns them? That has been my biggest hurdle so far. If there is an active home next to these farms, I just knock on thier door, but most have no other homes near by. Any ideas?

Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

Attachments

• graduation 005 (Medium).jpg
    graduation 005 (Medium).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 207
  • graduation 006 (Small).jpg
    graduation 006 (Small).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 202

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
The house in the second picture actually had unopened mail in the kitchen dated 1931, as well as the curtains, a few old cloths in the closet, and a sofa in the living room. I know I probably shouldn't have, and I'll probably catch a lot of slack for it,but I opened one of the pieces of mail, it was cancled checks from the bank, it was very interesting. There were a lot of pigions living in the house.

Paul

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call your County Courthouse.

? Ask if You can access the Counties Tax records on line.

I can in my area . That is Actually Where I got the Picture Above.

IF you can't yet, you'll need to go to the "Recoder of Deeds" Office I believe.

? The Deal with the un-opend mail sounds like one of 2 things.
It is Truly abandond, and, with unopend canceled checks, a potential Gold mine,
OR someone is finally going thru the contents.

Did you notice if there was dust on the mail, that could have been there since the 30's ?

The Great Depression was in 1929, HOW? long did it last ?

T

tallpaul

nice pics paul in Wa,, very interesting place,, id like to detect that place,,, good luck HH paul,.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul in WA said:
No, it is truly abandond. I'll figure it out somehow.

Paul

Is it Sitting IN or on the Edge of a Farmers Field By Some Chance, Like your UPPER pic ?

IF it is, I'd ask the Farmer who owns the land along side, IF he Thinks Anyone Would Complain.

IF he says He Dosn't Think so, I'd just go for it.
AFTER all IF he's the only one that Knows your There, Nobody is Going To SEE YOU.

JUST MY OPINION.

SO far every Abandond Parcel in my tax Records, Dosn't even have a Picture, So On those, I'm going to Have to View the Lands Personally, to see if there are homes on them yet.
? Who Ownes Abandond Property I don't know. County, State, U.S. Land, Ect. is all Labeled as Such.
and when I click on the Abandond ones I get "NO RECORD". STOLEN land is Listed as Owned By the D.A.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread