More Powerful?

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I am aware that the FCC limits the output power of detectors, and it brings two questions to mind.
1) Are there sneaky ways the manufacturers can get around this?
For instance, ever notice how commercials are so much louder than programs on TV and radio? There are laws limiting them, but advertisers game them. The law states volume at one frequency, and the manufacturers amp all frequencies to the max. Thus meeting the letter of the law while blasting you out of your seat. Methinks Minelab is doing this with their FBS
2) Do other countries have higher limits? If I bought a standard detector in Europe, or the Philippines, that was built to a standard twice as high, no ones going to know when I bring it here.
So, which country allows the highest power?
Thanks,
Hugger

Upvote 0

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
Hi,
I'm curious how you became aware of the FCC limiting the power output of your metal detector? The government doesn't regulate your metal detector. These are not suppose to be transmitting RF so the government isn't going to regulate that. The other thing they care about is the detector causing interference which isn't a problem. I remembered a very specific post on another forum about this and found it. I'll copy it here.
Good luck,
Boattow
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this a while back on another forum:
>FCC Title 47, Part 15 is what you want to read.
>It's on their web site. Below 9kHz there are no
>restrictions whatsoever. Above 9kHz, the limit
>is stated as a field strength of 2400 microvolts
>per meter divided by the frequency in kHz,
>measured at a distance of 300 meters from the
>antenna. So for a 10kHz Tesoro, that's
>240uV/meter at 300m.
>There is no "100 milliwatt" power limit (or
>whatever the number batted around) as many
>people believe. Keep it below 9kHz and you can
>legally melt snow with your detector.
>There is, however, a 10 watt power limit