Whats good for the beach in used detectors? PICs

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
What's good for the beach in used detectors? PICs

Been detecting for almost 30 years now and have never searched the beach! "And I live in Florida!" Go figure. Want to get a used beach hunter that will do the job of depth, salt stability and the dual use a a land detector haveing discrimination. I have an MXT and two Eagle II SL's. Don't like the idea of useing the MXT near water in case I should drop it into the water. Been die hard White's fan for about 8 years now and gave up on Garrett. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Re: What's good for the beach in used detectors?

You want stability, buy a sovereign. Don't drop it in the water. If you want to get wet, get the excalibur but it will be heavy on land.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Die hard Whites Fan huh? Then this should be right up your alley. Whites Beach Hunter ID 300. It is a VLF, not a PI and has discrinination and a 12" coil. Not the best for land searching however. It is water proof to I think 20 foot and has 3 different tones and lights to ID the type target, IRON, Nickels/Pull tabs/gold rings and high tones for most coins.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others

Sandman-- Checked out reviews on the B/Hunter ID 300 and looks pretty good. Don't like the first coils but like the second generation 0 bouancy coils. Have to keep this one in mind when I get ready to "lay the money down!" What do you think of PI models? Don't really like the idea of digging everything but am sure many a good target has been passed over by the lazy. Can they be used and be "best guessed" what the target might be? Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also didn't like the first generation Beach Hunter ID because of the floating coil. There are many nice PI's from the major manufactures and they are very deep which is what you need for the sifting sands of the saltwater beaches. Most have some discrimination and with time swinging the coil you get a feel for what it is telling you, but those deep iron signals can fool you. I just got weak from doing all that deep digging in my old age. Suggest you check out the Garrett Infinium LS. Reports are good with those that use these. I really like the Sand Shark by Tesoro too.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

Thanks Sandman for your input. Both the Sand Shark and W-BH ID300 detectors are getting pretty good reviews. Either one would probably work for me. Have to keep my eye out for a good deal on a used one. Both detectors are holding thier used values pretty close to thier new price. Maybe I'll trade/sell my MXT and see what happens. Thanks, LX Kid, Tampa, FL

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

Well I did get a Tiger Shark instead of the Sand Shark. I liked the dual use as a land detector because not detecting on the beach before I may not do much of it. Seems that the Tiger Shark gets good reviews also as a beach hunter and excells as a land and fresh water hunter. Hope I did the right thing.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vondrewvious said:
You want stability, buy a sovereign. Don't drop it in the water. If you want to get wet, get the excalibur but it will be heavy on land.
ditto :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you plan on hunting in the water, or just the wet sand?

For just the wet sand and up to calf deep the Sovereign GT rocks, but it can not get wet. In the water I use the Excal, but I use to have the Beach hunter ID and I liked it, coil didn't bother me, but the leaking twice in the battery compartment did and I traded it in on my first Sovereign GT.

I know several hunters who use the BH 300, FloridaBill is one, and he has great luck with it...............

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

Dont like the tesoro in the salt water great in the fresh water. The beach hunter will run much better in the salt.

Jason

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

I never used the beachhunter id... but i did have one of the surfmaster pi machines. I found some extremely deep targets. But the complete lack of discrimination often meant digging DEEP holes for a nail/screw/bobby pin...

It wasn't bad when I dug everything, but i've gotten a bit spoiled using an excal.

steve

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer

IMO if you want to hunt the beach, get a beach detector and use your Whites for dirt. if you want a water proof vlf det. a excal is the deepest. If you want to go deeper get a PI.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

.................I think that the Garrett Seahunter PI is the best................I have one of the originals which are harder to find in working condition today.................been told good reports over the Garrett SeaHunter II and the Infinium......never seen the Infinium in action though................The PI's get a lot of trash especially bobby pins but I have dug at least 3 or 4 rings that were covered up by trash and if I did not remove the nails and other trash.......the 14K and 10K rings would not have been recovered................LOL........I use no discrimination in the water even if the detector has it available........................Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of the great features about Minelab products especially using Excals and Sovereigns when hunting beaches is their ability to null on iron. It will see a gold ring next to a piece of iron............................You get a nulll followed by the tone for the gold.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

Kinda went off the deep end! Bought the Beach Hunter ID, Tesoro Tiger Shark and the Tesoro Stingray II. Modified the Beach Hunter ID for my left handed use. Moved lights and toggle switch up top and added a 10" EXcelerator coil and made a coil steady. So far have left the other two unmolested! LOL

S6001557.jpg
S6001550.jpg
S6001549.jpg

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: What's good for the beach in used detectors? PICs

First of all How much are you willing to spend???????? second, I use the Minelab Etrac. There is a beach mode. I don't hear anything but true targets. If you are set on Whites, That's fine. I chose NOT to be a dealer for them because they are not concerned in educating children about the hobby...At least that's what they told me.. Whites: "We don't donate for these causes" Where Minelab, Tesoro and Detector Pro have been generous.

Try a Minelab Etrac. I tried mine on different beaches around the country and the only tones I received were true tones. Not to mention It is an amazing field relic machine as well.

You asked...It's just my "Honest" Opinion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread