The proper way to use a detector, length of shaft, distance from feet etc??

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
I've begun to wonder if I have my shaft length and setup right. I am using a SovGT with digisearch and SR probe. I have the box shaft mounted in the middle hole. I normally keep the lower shaft set in the next to lowest hole in the upper shaft, almost at maximum length. I am 5' 10" tall. Do you think I have it set too long? Is there some kind of standard of how far the coil should be from your feet in the middle of the swing? I am open to any tips here. I'm not having much of a problem as long as I use the 5" coil but if I use the 10" and use it for several hours...it begins to hurt my back etc which is not in the best shape anyway. I have just bought a binocular holder from Cabelas, the one that goes over both shoulders. I am going to try chestmounting to relieve it a little. That bring's another question... if I remove the box from the shaft and use the 10" coil it really feel's out of balance. Tips:?

Thanks for the help...

Julien

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,399
OP
OP
J

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
I've considered that but...

first I want to get the basics down right. That's why i'm asking so I can know what is generally accepted way to do things cause i'm not sure i'm doing it right.

I still may get something like the swingy-thingy...

Thanks,

Julien

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SORRY,There Is no Real Basic Way,

? Which ever is most Comfortable Actually, As Long as You Make SLOW Even Sweeps, Keeping Your Coil To the SOIL.

Unfortunately The Minelab Sovereign Is NOT well Balanced.

OR should I say FORTUNATELY, As With BBS your Supposed to Go Real Slow.

Which The Weight causes you to do.

OP
OP
J

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Cool... that give's me a perfect excuse to buy another detector. I'm not selling the GT by any means but I am going to buy another lighter detector for coin shooting. The new ones look really good. The X-terra 50, the M-6, and the ID-Edge...or a Tesoro...hmmmm. Everyone need's more than one detector. I've also been wondering about the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV... for easy coin hunting in the park etc. Or maybe an ACE... If i had to buy one right now it would be the X-terra 50 but that could change.

I need to make another post...

J

jeff of pa said:
SORRY,There Is no Real Basic Way,

? Which ever is most Comfortable Actually, As Long as You Make SLOW Even Sweeps, Keeping Your Coil To the SOIL.

Unfortunately The Minelab Sovereign Is NOT well Balanced.

OR should I say FORTUNATELY, As With BBS your Supposed to Go Real Slow.

Which The Weight causes you to do.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
The way I set my machines up is to let my arm hang as close to natural as possible. Run the shaft out until the coil is about an inch off the ground and then set the coil angle. You won't be able to make hugh arcs this way, but it sure saves the arm and back! I also hunt with my left arm for a couple of reasons. First off, it keeps my gun hand free. Personal safety is a big issue around here. I hunt a lot really close to the border and I am right in the middle of the Narcotics Super Highway! Secondly, it leaves my right hand free to scratch or dig a bit for those shallow finds. By swinging with my left hand, it keeps me from having to lay the detector down and pick it up every two minutes. Anyway Julien, I hope this helps you a bit.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I generally cary a .45 S&W behind my right hip and so far I haven't got mixed up and shot the ground and drew my detector! I swing rt handed as left handed is just too awkward to me. I got one of those swinging harnasses ordered as I have problems swinging my heaviest detector. I get an aching elbow and back in just a few minutes . The 15" coil is almost impossible as you said about the balance, throws it completely off! Monty

OP
OP
J

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Holy cow...

I'd just get killed if I were there I guess because i'm usually in a world of my own. Anyway I went to the local park today for the first time and I shortened the shaft for a while but I wound up letting it back out because shortening it seemed to hurt my lower back more. I have it set in the second hole from the bottom...almost the longest position.

I found 2.26 in change, a small silver ring that just fit's my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter, and a girl scout pin...oh and a bunch of pulltabs. Pulltabs come in every kinda number on the meter huh? It's according to how they are bent etc.

I measured the area of my search and I searched 4,000 sq ft in four hours. So I am searching 1,000 sq ft per hour. Does that seem too slow?

J

Detector Man

Dec 6, 2005
California
Detector(s) used
XLT, MXT PRO
??? Surely youre not serious? this is not golfing, sir. Its a hobby and whichever makes you feel comfortable is the proper position...and if you get lucky? youre doing it right :)

Go for it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Holy cow...

jbow said:
I measured the area of my search and I searched 4,000 sq ft in four hours. So I am searching 1,000 sq ft per hour. Does that seem too slow?

J

I never Measured What I search,
And Never Stay in one Area.
So How long It would Take me 1,000 Sq. Feet I don't know.

HOWEVER, There is NO such Thing as Too Slow.
However Too fast, causes the Loss of Many Signals.
UNLESS your doing a seeded club hunt ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding too slow or too fast........When I first approach a site I try to decide on how I'm going to do it. Usually I mentally grid out small areas and just kinda' test the waters. I try to dig or eliminate all the shallow junk targets first, which goes fairly fast although I am mindful of any other deeper signals and either make a mental note or stick a little flag into the ground so I can come back to it. Then I get serious about the deeper targets. I'm not talking a foot deep, rather below 4". It may take me an hour just to cover an area of say 10'X10'! In a spot near where I dug up the "cat in the sack" I spent a whole day on about a 2'square area! I just kept uncovring things, and the detector just kept singing! I started out with a 4" plug and before it was over I had dug a hole a foot and a half deep and nearly 2' in diameter. I found marbles, old toys, some jewelry, pottery shards, coins, just a pot pouri of things, many of which the detector didn't even pick up! Just as suddenly it just stopped! You never know, and have to play it as it comes. Generally, slow is better. Monty

Dirtfishin

Dec 3, 2005
Southern Tier NY (temp)
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace100 (my first one)
White's Surf Pro PI
Nokta Legend
JBow

You might want to check out www.thegoldenolde.com site I read about it in another post and Norm (who is no longer with us) has some tips in this area... more for covering ground but still a great site with a wealth of info...

I'm working on the MD elbow myself... (I switch rt to left and back again so I can toast both elbows evenly ;)) (no gun needed, since I no longer live AZ)
Hey DigEM Watch out on New Years!!! lot of Dumb *sses out there shootin' up in the air.... DUH, it's got to come down sometime! ??? :o

OK JBow
I once saw a guy MD'ing and the machine he used at first threw me off... it seems he modified several of his old or other machines and combined them all to make a more comfy one! He was taller than 6 feet.... I remember looking WAY UP THERE, when chatting with him... ::) He was using a white's PI with a Garrett arm (Shaft)

Mounting the box to a belt on your hip might help (you could actually draw you box instead of your gun) Ya, double holster ;D ) or replace metal tubes with PCP tubes (from box to coil) this could make it lighter and don't forget a good back brace, like the guys wear at Walmart!

Lot of Luck!

Kat

OP
OP
J

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Hey Dirtfisher...

It's funny that you call yourself that, I have often thought how much MDing is like fishing, it's SO much like fishin'... Anyway that's not what I wanted to say. I wanted to thank you for the link to Norm's website. He is truly a man I would have loved to spend some time with. I have saved about half of his stuff to a folder on my computer and will save the rest tomorrow, so that when it is, one day, gone. It will still be available. I especially enjoyed his "Coffee Break" room. Norm was a man among men, spiritually, it seems and I imagine that Heaven's gain was our loss.

Thanks,

Julien

Dirtfishin said:
JBow

You might want to check out www.thegoldenolde.com site I read about it in another post and Norm (who is no longer with us) has some tips in this area...? more for covering ground but still a great site with a wealth of info...

I'm working on the MD elbow myself...? (I switch rt to left and back again so I can toast both elbows evenly? ;))? (no gun needed, since I no longer live AZ)
Hey DigEM? Watch out on New Years!!!? lot of Dumb *sses out there shootin' up in the air....? DUH, it's got to come down sometime!? ???? :o

OK JBow
I once saw a guy MD'ing and the machine he used at first threw me off...? it seems he modified several of his old or other machines and combined them all to make a more comfy one!? He was taller than 6 feet.... I remember looking WAY UP THERE, when chatting with him...? ::)? He was using a white's PI with a Garrett arm (Shaft)

Mounting the box to a belt on your hip might help (you could actually draw you box instead of your gun)? Ya, double holster? ;D ) or replace metal tubes with PCP tubes (from box to coil) this could make it lighter and don't forget a good back brace, like the guys wear at Walmart!

Lot of Luck!

Kat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions