Would you/could you detect this spot?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I happened upon a potential hot spot while conducting some research but not sure, maybe too late to get to the goodies.....

It's an old camp meeting/reunion that was held from 1911-1957. Problem is.....the spot is underwater most of the year and has been for 35 years. During winter, the water is let down (winter pool) and I can access the spot.

Anyone have any experience in this area? I'm wondering how much sediment may have built up over the years. This part of the lake is fed my a large creek that floods two or more times a year. Would a flood take out as much as it brought in?

Also, it doesn't look like the "muck" ever dries....would this stuff be like quick sand?

Would you hunt it?

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sounds like a possible good site. 1) Don't go alone. 2) take 2 ropes-1 for U and 1 for the detector. There's a good chance that the silt has built up but not washed the goodies out however there may be a crust that will for and leave the underlying area very soft. You may need both hands to pull yourself out. Not saying there's quicksand, just a very loose layer of silt. Other than that, I still think I'd give it a shot. The crust as it dries, will of course harden up closer to shore 1st. Just be careful. If you start to go down, try and fall onto your back to spread your weight out over a larger area. JMHO. HH

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thanks Stoney.....sound advice.

It's ironic that I have not one single buddy that wants to go down to the lake and freeze his butt off while there are others on this website that would give a body part to help out.....amazing.....

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Yeah, sometimes a hunting partner comes in handy for more than just comradre. My experience with the mud was while bowfishing for carp on the Arkansas. I didn't have a rope but when it happened, I was able to shoot the arrow up on dry land, toss the bow aside, and back crab walk out of the prediciment. Then when clear, pulled on the string till I was able to get the bow back.
Just make sure to tell someone where you're going as well.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I would hunt it, with someone. Be very careful. Have a great hunt!!! I think you have to see what's there, no matter what we say. I would to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread