First Day

J

JamesM

Well I got my BH Lonestar yesterday afternoon and dug up some pull tabs and two phase barbwire out of my backyard but only got to use it for about an hour before dark did manage to break my one dollar shovel though. Today I got my earphones and my lesche digging tool in the mail (which is awesome by the way) I went to a park after work and found a key and 3 coins, a 91 dime, a 84 nickel, and a 64 penny and a blister about the size of a dime on my hand. Nothing special but man it was fun.

James

Upvote 0

mikelb

Jul 23, 2004
James,glad you had fun!I have a bounty hunter too,I do not care what the snobs say,these detectors work great!I have made a few guys unhappy with their more expensive detectors by finding coins they had missed,one even had me go over spot that he was getting a mixed signal on and mine read it clear and pin pointed it!so enjoy and take a few weeks to get used to it!
good luck!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The digging will sure get easier now that you've the tool. One thing I would advise is use the BH to it's advantage. It will be stronger in the playgrounds and you'll learn to master it more quickly and you'll get fewer blisters! Save that dirt digging for when the ground is softer, at least while you're getting started. Happy hunting and have fun!

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Aye, a good detectorist can make decent finds with just about any detector.

I still love hitting sand areas because it's so easy to dig, heh

M

mercypa

HI James.I got a BH as a gift and after going on the net I thought that maybe I should return it and get a better unit.Well I couldn't wait and hit the local playground and found $0.87 in new coins.Then I went to New York and hit the beach and found $1.82 in the dry sand.In the black sand my detector just beeped to much to any good and that is were you need a better rig.I live in NE PA and in the woods it woks real good.I went to a cellar hole (not that old) and found 11/16 deep craftsman socket,a key,2 Penny's,and a grass clipper with 2 wheels on a three foot pole I thought that was funny.Well good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
J

JamesM

Thanks guys I went to the park again today with some new leather gloves, minus the fingers and found a few clad and some of those arcade/chucky cheese tokens only about 54 cents but dug a lot of stuff I didn't need to just to try to figure out how to read the detector. I heard all the Frisbee ideas for putting your dirt on but I made something that works great and slides right into my tool belt so thought I would share.

I took two 1/2 inch wooden dowel rods and cut them to a foot long each and took some of that black mat that you put in flower beds to keep the grass from coming through and cut it a foot wide and 2 feet long and I hot glued the mat, which is some type of woven material to the 2 dowel rods. Now when I start digging I can just unroll the mat and put my dirt on it and if I quit getting a hit in the hole I can pick up the whole pile of dirt using the rods and run it in front of my detector to see if it's in there and it made it really easy to put the dirt back in and then put the grass plug back on top. Most of the holes you couldn't even tell I was there.

Went to a empty lot this afternoon for about 4 hours. It is in the old part of town and I got permission to detect on it and didn't find one coin. I found a old gear about 10 inches deep and a couple of unidentifiable metal pieces but nothing really great yet. I'm heading back out in the morning to that lot. I keep hoping to find something picture worthy.

HH,

James

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread