Where to begin

porchdawg

Nov 7, 2005
Warner Robins, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTA 1350
I have aquired the privaledge to search an old farm. It is circa 1850-1880. I just don't know where to start my search. There are three barns, a large house, large lawn in front and alot of tall grass and briars arourd the perimeter. Woods are directly behind the barns. I can't determine where an outhouse would have been.

Someone still lives in this house but there is no problem with me searching, because I asked her today. I guess I would like everyone's advise as to where to begin my search. I don't want to do this hap- hazardly. I just walked over it quickly today and found several Lincoln pennies and a couple pieces of farm implements. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know IF this will Help or not,
I have been privileged Enough to Live in a Town
Where up to about 20 years ago, There were Still
a few Outhouses, at some of the homes.
(I say privileged, Because On Halloween, As a Kid, I learned How to TIP them ;D)
IN this Town, Every one was at the End of the Walk way,
Leading From the Back door Out.

I figure, They wanted it Far enough away from the House to Prevent Odors, Yet Close enough
in case they needed to use it in the middle of the night, ( Rear Porch Light when turned on, would
Light their way.
? ?Plus If it's Winter, They Wouldn't want to Walk far.

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i heard of people using very long probes and walking around in the yards, probing down. they said they could feel where the outhouse was , the ground much softer there,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread