Do You need permits or anything?

sleo573

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site. I'm just starting out metal detecting I have a Tesoro Cibola. Haven't had much luck yet. I live in Florida and have only been out a couple times so far. Although I did find a old spoon or fork or something yesterday but the head of it is broken off and it's got a lot of marine build up on it. Any ideas on how to clean it up and get the sand and rust and everything off of it?

My question is do you need any kind of permit or license to Metal Detect or can i pretty much do it at any public place?

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
in florida you really need to check with some of the local MD clubs in your area, some places you can detect without problems, others you need to know exactly where you can't.
as far as removing crud from your fork, try electrolysis

Sniffer

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As for where, or where you can't detect, check with local long-time good hunters. Not just skittish sandbox hunters, but actual hard-core hunters, who routinely bring in the old coins, hunt all over, etc... Ask them what the real skinny is, on whether or not there's places to avoid in your area. Typically though, it will just be federally run properties/parks (although I've noticed that at WWII and later era military bases, no one seems to care), and some state owned sites/properties. Although state beaches are usually treated different from state parks. At least here in CA, no one has ever seemed to care at the state owned beaches (despite how a technical reading might come across). Just check with long-time hunters, and see how it's evolved in your area.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net SLeo :hello:

My advice is when in doubt, do not ask at city hall or any official, to do so may bring a no answer even if a rule against metal detecting does not currently exist.

Take the advice from the above posts and you will be fine.

GG~

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
What county are you in?

Most counties do not have any restrictions. Some do (Pasco). Most county parks are OK to hunt, but there are some cities that do not permit hunting in city parks. These parks will normally have a sign that says no metal detecting.

State parks do not normally permit detecting, but some will, you have to ask when you enter. Florida East coast beaches permit hunting except when it is part of the National Seashore, Playalinda Beach is one. Also no water detecting along the Treasure Coast, due to the leases. Folks who rent the wreck sites from the State of Florida from Sebastian Inlet to points further south ( I don't remember where it ends).

Other than that you are good to go.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the local city parks and county parks around central Fl with no problems at all, just be sure to cover your holes andthrow away the trash your dig. There are a couple parks that do require a permit, but they advise you that when you enter. Kelly Park outside of Apopka, Fl, just NW of Orlando requires one.

Shoot me an IM if you need any help...........

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, this is coin finder, about a permit, here in new york it will cost You.... $ 40.00 a year ! Yes the permit is Good on the state Beaches Parks. and it Not the the Big apple! it Take your Money State !! Greed State !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread