Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought I'd proudly share something that does not see the light of day too often - My pile of [mostly zinc] hopelessly corroded/bent/mauled pennies.

Must be close to 1,000.
Don't really want to throw them away, coinstar spits them out in record time, am not going to humiliate myself by taking them to the bank ,,, So I guess I am stuck with them, an ever increasing pile that my heirs can figure out what to do with.

These represent alot of exercise [and wasted time], you figure I had to bend over and pick up every one of these, most I had to dig for too.

Anyone so inclined, post your unwanted, useless ugly ducklings here.

Attachments

• IMG_4853.JPG
    IMG_4853.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 922
Upvote 0

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I have some that were in worst shape then that (Missing 1/4 to 1/3 of the coin) and I tumbled them with some quarts fish tank stones, then I rolled them and deposited them to the bank, I am sure they will send them back to the mint to be taken care of. Just remember to put a good one on the end of the roll so you can't tell they are damaged, bent ones can be "realigned" with a light tap from a hammer.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could spread em all over a tot lot for someone else to dig up....lol

in all honesty I take mine all to the bank I don't care how bad they are. They have never refused them even half ate ones.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I get a sadistic thrill when I take them to the bank and see the look on tellers face....Yes it is great.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
See how many of them a coinstar machine will take, they will spit out the ones it wont accept then you can try the bank if there is enough left to make it worthwhile.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
See how many of them a coinstar machine will take, they will spit out the ones it wont accept then you can try the bank if there is enough left to make it worthwhile.
Not a good Idea to take them through coinstar. If you think they look "iffy" coinstar will definetly spit them out. And if the manager or teller catches on to you they will politely tell you not to bring them through any more. Not worth the hassle IMO.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally feel an obligation to bring a crud coin back to presentable shape before I put it back in circulation.
I get what I know to be uncleaned, dug coins in my change occasionally.
I don't like getting it, I'm not going to do to someone else what I don't like, just because I'll remain personally blameless.
Which is not to say they must be pristine, I ain't that picky.
But to just dig something and not even bother wiping it off before spending it is tacky and childish, in my opinion.
If they are beyond redemption, then thats it, for me.
Like I said, whoever ends up inheriting them can figure out what to do [maybe just throw them away].

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xraywolf said:
........not really looking for advice what to do with these, because I already know - Gonna save them, and let someone else down the line decide what to do.

Too funny :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

But probably the best option. I don't know if it is worth the time and effort to try to cash them in. If you mail the bag of 1000 pennies, in which is only $10, to the federal reserve (at least someone posted this last year), they will pay you the amount based on weight. Remember there is a cost to ship them and I imagine a cost to process them and in the end you probably get a check for a whole dollar. Save them in jars and someone down the line with probably think they are the coolest things (Grandpa's treasure). My grandfather on his death bed asked of me several favors. The last item he told me about was his Indian artifact collection that he wanted me to have. He told me to go to his house and where it would be. The sad thing was that while we were at Hospice with him someone had broken into his house and stole many items. I did find a jar of broken odds and ends that I still cherish.

AS for having to dig zincs and other clad, we all have to do it (at least everybody that I know). One place I used to hunt had tons of clad in the first 2 inches and below that some older silver. But to get to that, one had to clean out the clad first. The GTI 2500 would go crazy with all the good signals and it was impossible to pinpoint on to just one object when there were coins in areas centimeters apart.

One last option is just to slowly spend them. One penny here and there adds up quickly. Maybe leave a few extras with the tip at the restaurant.

Either way, keep enjoying what you are doing and have fun.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread