How Useful Are Treasure Hunting Magazines?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Come every winter, gardeners look forward to receiving all those seed catalogs.

Come every winter, some THers get especially worked up over their treasure magazines.

What about you?? Are you into the treasure mags?

Maybe you'd like a subscripture for Christmas? Word has it Santa reads this forum ;)

Please comment.

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

When I first started detecting in the 70's, the magazines were good for learning etiquite , digging techniques and where to hunt. What to look for in a site. Where and how to do research. And I D ing of finds.
But as the years wore on, it seemed like they were still saying the same thing. Just in a different order. So I gradually tired of reading them.
Except for 2 magazines. Treasure Found and Western & Eastern Treasures
Because of them producing the peoples finds in their mags. I could always count on them to get the juices flowing again and keeping me anxious to get back out there.
HH

Z

ZumbroKid

So what does anyone think of American Digger magazine? Civil war relic hunters must like this one!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreeTwoDtect said:
So what does anyone think of American Digger magazine? Civil war relic hunters must like this one!

I like the Heavy Stock of Paper they Use & the GLOSSY Pages.

However It reminds me TOO much of a CLUB MAGAZINE at this point.

Alot of Intresting Pics & photos, great info too.
However, It seems to be Mainly the Same
Peoples Posts, and Photos, every Issue.

? ?I expect it to Improve tho, if it Lasts long enough to catch on.

and only 2 Issues out of 6 were here on time.
? The Rest I waited 4 to 5 weeks after issue for mine to come.
Because of this, I won't Renew.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
rvbvetter said:
? ? ? ?When I first started detecting in the 70's,? the magazines were good for learning etiquite , digging techniques and where to hunt.? What to look for in a site. Where and how to do research. And I D ing of finds.?
? ?But as the years wore on,? it seemed like they were still saying the same thing. Just in a different order.? So I gradually tired of reading them.
? ?Except for 2 magazines.? ? Treasure Found? ? and? ?Western & Eastern? Treasures
? ?Because of them producing the peoples finds in their mags. I could always count on them to get the juices flowing again and keeping me anxious to get back out there.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HH
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

There's your key RV. Yes, they do repeat after a while but I think it's mainly because there's more people every year picking up this hobby and so with each generation comes a rehash and sometimes they find a way to shed a different light on the same article or change the technique enough to make it interesting. It also gives you something to read over the winter months. I just PU the Jan 2005 issue of W&E and haven't even read the Dec issue yet.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Everything always comes down to how one views life in general. Some are stuck in pessimistic mode; others take a more optimistic stance.

For the optimist, treasure magazines are part of the fun and myths of treasure hunting.? ?

The thing I fear most in life is pessimism.? And the Lord knows there?s plenty to be depressed about in these perilous times in which we are living.

I?m for the treasure magazines. Every time I pick one up it?s like I leave behind the room of doom and gloom and advance into the realm of happiness and purpose.

Where there is no treasure to seek the people perish.

lionhrt9

Dec 10, 2005
NW Indiana, there's silver in dem grounds!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab (Xterra50) and Garrett (Ace 250)<-Gone to dad in Montana
Im a newbie to the forum and hunting and got a bunch of lost treasure mags from the past couple of years off my buddie to review in the off season, has helped me alot. THANKS KRAZYGLUE for the mags.

anyways gives lots of good tips and the stories are interesting. Good technique discussions also.

HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to add my two cents worth to the treasure magazines being useful or entertaining. They are full of helpful hints and observations from various hunters and it is up to us, the readers, to be enlightened or discard the info. Concerning detector Field Tests, my thoughts pour over the details of features and operation of the machines and I dend to discard the "hunt." You need to read these with an open mind and don't believe all you read ontil you prove it yourself.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread