How Useful Are Treasure Hunting Magazines?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I get a lot out of my treasure mags, read them cover to cover the moment they arrive. I get tips on places to search and I enjoy the articles of finds others have made. I get the same satisfaction from reading this forum, except this forum is constantly changing and updating! ;)

K

Kentucky Kache

Zeb said:
Maybe you'd like a subscripture for Christmas? Word has it Santa reads this forum? ;)

Please comment.
I get it, Zeb is Santa. Don't worry, your secret is safe with us.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Opinion, The Newer Treasure Mags are more usefull to the Newbie, Up to date Info & those looking to update
Equipment.

The Older Mags are More Usefull, To the seasond detectorist? Treasure Hunter,
As the Stories in the Older Mags can run 3, 4 pages long with several pictures of
the areas to be searched, Maps, Etc,

The newer mags seem to save space by Shortening the stories to a paragraph or two.

I still Enjoy all the new ones.
However It takes me alot longer to get thru the ones from the 60's & 70's

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I got a huge lot of over 20 W&E treasure mags from ebay, they are what made me come to this site and find this forum :) Love the older ones too, more relics in them ;D

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
there is much good info in some of them..the older ones are definantly the ones i want, and lately there have been several on e-bay to choose from.................gldhntr

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Zeb,

don't read them at all now. Have taken a look at a few over the years but never felt I wanted to subscribe.

have a good un............

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gldhntr said:
there is much good info in some of them..the older ones are definantly the ones i want, and lately there have been several on e-bay to choose from.................gldhntr

TREASURE WORLD & TRUE TREASURE

Are the 2 Oldies, With the Most Detailed Treasure Hunting Leads, I'v seen.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Old or new makes pretty much no difference to me. The very 1st article I read is "Ask Mark Parker". It always has lots of info on items found. You should see me sometime when I find an item that I know was in a previous issue. Box after box comes out as I try and find it.
One item I found last year I traded to Onion some time back and turned out it was shown in the column about 12 yr ago. Sent the page to him as well-it was some early 1900's apothecary weights.
HH and happy reading.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
I do enjoy reading them. Sometimes you'll get a new trick or tip or joggle your memory about some site from the past. Most of peoples finds are interesting and inspiring. Plus theres not much to do this time of year for us in the northeast!!!!!!
P.S. Unless you like to shovel snow!!!!!
HH
Greg

Z

ZumbroKid

I like " treasure tales of the old west." Great magazine!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once knew a Th'er that wouldn't buy a treasure hunting magazine because that would take away his profit. He wondered why everyone was finding more coins and gold rings too.

They are great sources of information on everything about detecting. I have had many articles published in the older publcations and the newer ones too. Many of the older stories about lost treasures and caches are missing many facts. If you found a robbers loot in a bag somewhere, would you advertise it for all to head there and search some more or get visited by the IRS to get Uncle Sam's share. Remember what happened to Mel Fisher and the sunken treasure he found.......Some of the sites are really there and are true, but the older ones are mainly for reading enjoyment only and not "treasure leads."

I subscribe and enjoy them cover to cover as they are at least based in fact and not just opinions as are in the forums. My posts are my opinion too but I like to think I do my best to answer the guestion. If I didn't you guys would "Flame Me."

Sandman

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I know it's hard to believe but I was once an editor myself. That was a non-treasure publication with worldwide circulation.

I can really relate to the frustration the editors of treasure mags must go through in producing copy suitable for publication today.

I agree with what you said about the treasure legends. Some are true and others for fun. Mel Fisher has been called a "dreamer" and lots of other things. But one thing is for certain, he used the available facts whenever possible. He knew the Atocha and Santa Margarita were there all the time. That sort of treasure hunting makes sense.

I think many of the famous inland legends were found long ago. The argument is that people will talk if they find something big. This is not always true. I know of a group in California who have found a giant cache (16th century gold and silver coins, artifacts) and they?re saying nothing. You?ll most likely never read that story anywhere.

I too like the treasure magazines. I?ve learned some of my best methods from them.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
as i posted above, there is much good info in some of these publications...one warning though..do not, unless backed up by research of your own, decide to run out and waste time conducting a big search, just because the story sounded good and was full of information.....i say this because i know of one author, who has sent in several long stories to these magazines that were printed....i also know for a fact that there was some good info there, along with many statements that are nothing other than the authors own guesswork/conclusions/insight/ignorance/or just the wish to point you away from where he thinks it might be.........research requires more research till you have enough things lending credence to the fact that your initial findings warrant a search....back up everything you can with as much proof as you can collect, then sit back and look at it all together and only then decide if you think the story is true enough to waste your time with it, as many stories are just that, stories, alot of which come from people trying to get something for nothing, or just wanting the attention that a good treasure story is sure to command.....................gldhntr

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
True gldhntr. Most stories of vast treasure has a seed of truth and then there's the veneer built up around it. It then becomes your (the readers) job to decide if further investment in time, gas, and research costs justify a more concrete approach. DOn't get me wrong about made up stories and figments of imagination. But it's the editors job to make sure that the magazine stays in publication. There are those people that write and send in their stories not for the money but the abililty to give themselves a little feeling of imortality as well as a chance to share their experiences and knowledge.
There are many stories that give readers food for thought as to how to look outside the box they've grown accustomed to. It is also a way of keeping up with new techniques and equipment that comes out on the market.

Z

ZumbroKid

I'm not renewing any of them anymore. I see more on this forum than in those magazines. I like the people contact, the magazines can not give that.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
True gldhntr. Most stories of vast treasure has a seed of truth and then there's the veneer built up around it. It then becomes your (the readers) job to decide if further investment in time, gas, and research costs justify a more concrete approach. DOn't get me wrong about made up stories and figments of imagination. But it's the editors job to make sure that the magazine stays in publication. There are those people that write and send in their stories not for the money but the abililty to give themselves a little feeling of imortality as well as a chance to share their experiences and knowledge.
There are many stories that give readers food for thought as to how to look outside the box they've grown accustomed to. It is also a way of keeping up with new techniques and equipment that comes out on the market.

I agree.
Without the Stories to Research & interpret in the first place, You don't even have a Clue.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
It is funny. On this forum the treasure mags have received a thumbs up from the majority of posters. This question was posed on another metal detecting forum with the opposite results. There the current mags received severe criticism from just about all the posters.

The question is why?

One could argue that the majority of posters on the other forum were seasoned veterans and for them it is "same old, same old" material with little new knowledge. But yet several seasoned hands here do not have this viewpoint.

My take on this is something like this. Are you a "finds" watcher or a "tech" watcher? The other forum is basically a tech forum which discusses pro and cons of various detectors. Posting finds is almost unheard of on this forum. As treasure magazine field tests are basically worthless they receive little new knowledge from them that interests them.

Forums such as Treasurenet are "finds" dominated forums. Most of the posting is on daily finds and "which is the best low end detector" and not pure tech related posts The extreme example is the Troy Shadow forum in which photos of daily finds and stories of hunts are the dominant postings and tech issues are uncommon.

So you can see why treasure magazines with the abundance of stories and photos of finds are more appealing to one group than another. In other words "Different strokes for different folks"

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions