Tucson - Butterfield Stage station

jamesfarmer30

Aug 1, 2004
Hi all,

I met a guy last weekend that gave me directions to an old Butterfield Stage stop that is just East of Tucson. My wife and I couldn't locate it by the directions given. I think it was called Cienega. There's also a Pantano Station in the area, but I believe it's a different site.

Anyone happen to have more info about this?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Does this help?

http://members.cox.net/lasivian/misc/1876 map snip.jpg

Only info I could find on the area at all. I have a set of old Arizona maps in my collection, but they're 50 megs. If you're up in Phoenix i'll be happy to make you a copy tho.

I notice it's called "Cienega de los pinos", I tried a web search and found a civil war diary entry:

"HDQRS. FIRST CALIFORNIA VOLUNTEER CAVALRY,
Fort Thorn, Ariz., July 6, 1862.

LIEUTENANT: In compliance with orders received from the colonel commanding, dated June 17, 1862, I have the honor to make the following report:

June 21, left Tucson at 3 a.m. with Captain Fritz, Lieutenants Haden and Baldwin, First California Volunteer Cavalry, and 140 men; marched thirty-five miles to Cienega de los Pinos, and encamped at 12.30 p.m.; water and grazing abundant. The road to-day is very good, with the exception of two or three hills. At a distance of about twenty eight miles the road descends into the Cienega, then seven miles to water near the burned station, which stood on the hill to the right of the road. Course, southeast; thirty-five miles."

There is a Cienega creek in the aea, but the topo maps I have show no town or other locale there.

I know there is a book detailing where all the butterfield stops are, but I don't have it.

Hope this helps :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions