Best choice for backup or daily carry MD.

osros

Greenie
Jan 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, Tesoro Vaquero
Hey all,

I been MDing off and on and I currently own a Minelab SE. I like the detector alot but still learning and need to get out more with it. I was thinking of a cheaper detector to have in my car all the time so if I see a good spot I can jump out and try it. I dont think I want my SE in the car all the time getting beatup. Im looking for a good unit $300 - $400. that can do the job and also give me an idea if the area is worth a return trip with the SE.

I was thinking:

Ace 250
Minelab XTerra30
Minelab XTerra305
Minelab XTerra50

I like to stay in the Minelab family but open to ideas I have not really researched any other types of detectors. I hear good things about the ACE 250 but also dont want to come up short on performance when for a little bit more could have done better with a Minelab 30 or 305.

Im interested in any thoughts

Thanks

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro silver or Cibola would be my choice. Simple, rugged, great performance and lifetime warranty.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well u already know how good minelab is and I don't think you can get a better machine for the money than the x-305

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I would go with a Tesoro, maybe a Silver Saber or Cibola, either one is far better than a Ace 250 IMO and they have a life time warranty. they also are very easy to sell if you don't like it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Explorer and a Tesoro Vaq. Wish I'd bought the Golden for tones. Silver and Cibola no tone Id some like it I don't. Not trying to excite anyone just honest opinion.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
If it was me I would consider a different brand than whatever you are using. Sometimes
a different brand will work better at a particular spot or have some other feature to play
with. This is a hobby and I would like to try out different detectors. Nothing against
Minelab, just my two cents worth. I have an extreme cheapie TR that I carry just for fun.
It's some off brand, decal is long gone, but I was able to find some keys for a poor soul
where I was doing some desert camping.
Good luck and have fun,
Rich

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me the fun comes from learning a new machine. I would definitely go with a Tesoro Cibola or Vaquero because of the very light weight and performance along with the lifetime warranty. They are excellent goodie getters. Read my signature below.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For a backup have you considered buying something used, maybe a whites xlt, which you could probably buy pretty cheap now?

OP
OP
osros

osros

Greenie
Jan 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Hey thanks everyone will take a serious look at the Tesoro. Wonder if I will further confuse myself since Im still learning the SE sounds. Will I be good with the stock coil or what other coil would be better to use? I hunt both extremes trashy to somewhat clean areas. I am using the 8" minelab coil now on the SE and I find it much better than the stock.

Thanks

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
305'S a great little machine,which is why it's my backup lol.You can get a 6" DD coil for trashy area's.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro silver or Cibola would make a good back up .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember how hot it gets in a car closed up where it will be sitting all day everyday....

OP
OP
osros

osros

Greenie
Jan 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Thanks All!

I went and picked up a Tesoro Vaquero and a 5.75" concentric coil. I only had time to try it for a short time for some clad, but wow one tone! and no clue. I'm understanding the use of the Discrim Knob to help judge what it maybe but this one will make you dig more often. I love its lightweight compared to the SE. Although its my back up I will be making some initial hunts with it. I like to find lesser known spots, paths and old home sites in the woods. I already got this puppy strapped to my backpack. :headbang:

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
osros said:
Thanks All!

I went and picked up a Tesoro Vaquero and a 5.75" concentric coil. I only had time to try it for a short time for some clad, but wow one tone! and no clue. I'm understanding the use of the Discrim Knob to help judge what it maybe but this one will make you dig more often. I love its lightweight compared to the SE. Although its my back up I will be making some initial hunts with it. I like to find lesser known spots, paths and old home sites in the woods. I already got this puppy strapped to my backpack. :headbang:

Once you learn it ,,it will become more than your backup!!!!!! :wink:

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best choice? One you like and know how to use. I tote a Tesoro Vaquero or Golden, sometimes and others I bring the FIsher 1236X2. But would drag along a DFX if it was in my arsenal and I liked it.

I also like the Whites Classic ID's and the Garrett GTP 1350. But of the ones you mentioned, Id hunt the bst price on the nicest Minelab I could find. Then I.d get a carry case for it and get busy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread