How to find a virgin (site to detect)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
A few tips I've learned on finding a virgin site. Other ideas welcome:

*Old private homes are great targets. Most will not have been searched compared to public lands.

*Talk to "old timers" in your area about where people used to go swimming and hanging out. Lots of those places are no longer apparent unless you know about them from an insider and you can find something that way.

*Visit a nursing home and you can combine doing something nice for the community with picking up good info. Most nursing homes will let you walk around and talk to people if you ask permission. They appreciate the company.

*Go to the library and look up old photos and maps (obvious one, but it works).

*Keep you eyes open all the time. Look for old foundations, roadways and other opportunities while driving around.

*Don't be afraid to ask permission. The worst you will get is a "no" which will put you in the same position you were in before asking. When you ask, approach someone during daylight hours and discuss your interest in the local history and how you are very respectful of property and say you don't make any mess. Offer to show them your finds and don't make it sound like you are there to remove valuable objects from their property. Downplay it. What you decide to do if you find something of value is up to each person.

*Try to affiliate with a local hist. society, school, library or other institution. If you can donate a few things for display that reflect the local area, then when you go asking for permission you can indicate "I am working with local such and such group" to make sure these items are displayed for the community to see. It will help you get a "yes" for permission.

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

Good advise. And while you're at the library, ask about books on the history of your county. You might be amazed at what you find.

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Classic I, Minelab Sovereign, Garret GTX 2500, BH 3300
Not sure about your county but our local chamber of commerce, put out a book which could be purchased for 20 bucks that was a pelethora of THing knowledge ( in the right hands). It is also worth going in the Chamber office because they often have old maps on display of the way the city use to be . Anyway just a thought.

Saber

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Ever been looking at some old photos of the area and see this little fellow of a tree and then go there and see how HUGH it has become? Holy cow.... I saw a photo of a park being made and the ladies in the photo were planting the trees. Drove by this same park a couple days later and every one of those trees is better than four feet in diameter!

Willy

Get a PI. If the area you hunt is conducive towards targets sinking deep, it will be just like hunting virgin ground. I did that last winter on a freshwater beach and, deeper than any VLF could reach, the beach was almost carpeted with silver. ..Willy.

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
Pulse Induction for exceptional depth even in the worst conditions like black sand.
hope this helps you.

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites Classic I, Minelab Sovereign, Garret GTX 2500, BH 3300
Yesit does, thanks. What types of detectors offers this?

Saber

Willy

The one I use is a Garrett Infinium. It has a form of iron ID & disc. & gets really scary depth. This is a detector with which you use a shovel to dig, not those little garden trowels. It has two tones & takes a while to learn how to use. It will, after a day of hunting with it, leave your brain hurting like an S.O.B.? ...Willy.

sabertooth

Dec 13, 2005
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Haha ok so in addition to it, I should hire a couple a shirpas and a pack mule. Thanks again for the info.

Saber

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
The baby trees were four feet in diameter all those years later...what did the ladies look like after all those years?

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
This may sound strange but it is a new way of research that i am trying...i live in a small town but very rich in history....estb in 1774...i am going to the town meetings and they are talking about developing this old farm land...i am just trying to get a start date on this site so i can hit it hard when they scrape that 6'' of top soil off...its a little boring but there are a lot of pepole trying to git permits for additions...maybe i can get permission from them when they start there projects....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread