Vacant lot next to us use to be a Tavern

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I am not sure if any of you would remember me posting about my husband getting me a metal detector for Christmas (ordered it today!) and I came on here asking for advice on what to get, well he reminded me that there used to be a tavern on the empty lot next to us around 1900. All we know about it is the ladies of Laura tore it down with their bare hands because as you may remember our house started out a schoolhouse and they didn't like that a tavern was next to the school. So after I check out our yard I am going to see if the neighbours will give me permission to metal detect on their vacant lot. As you can imagine, I am very anxious for Spring to get here!!

HH
Cheryl

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great spot to start Looking. Lots of the older taverns had sawdust on the floor and coins got swept out with the clean up everynight. Also older taverns had cracks in the floor where coins fell through .I have a spot all set for spring, where a tavern for a logging company burned down in 1885 and nothing was ever rebuilt on the property . Cant wait to get started>
Good Luck and hope to see some of your finds soon!

R

rvbvetter

A tavern? There's not a maroon convertable corvette sitting there, is there?
I know I left it at one of them.

Good luck on your site and post what you find there. HH

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds super, Cheryl.

Sometimes people here complain about finding so little but one has to go to where the goodies are. If they didn't scrape the top soil away you should do very well.

HH

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
gypsyheart said:
Great spot to start Looking. Lots of the older taverns had sawdust on the floor and coins got swept out with the clean up everynight. Also older taverns had cracks in the floor where coins fell through .I have a spot all set for spring, where a tavern for a logging company burned down in 1885 and nothing was ever rebuilt on the property . Cant wait to get started>
Good Luck and hope to see some of your finds soon!

Gypsyheart, Wow!! That sounds good! Good luck to you,too. And I look forward to seeing what you find there. I am afraid since I am new to MD'ing that I may not find a whole lot, at least not at first that's why I am glad I have my own yard to do first so I can get things figured out before I venture to other places.

Thank you gypsyheart.
Cheryl

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
rvbvetter said:
A tavern? There's not a maroon convertable corvette sitting there, is there?
I know I left it at one of them.

Good luck on your site and post what you find there. HH

Is there a finders keepers rule for maroon convertable corvettes? ;D Someone on here found a Harley so this would be a few steps up, right?

Thanks rvbvetter. You can be sure I will post what I find.

Cheryl

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Zeb said:
Sounds super, Cheryl.

Sometimes people are here complain about finding so little but one has to go to where the goodies are. If they didn't scrape the top soil away you should do very well.

HH

Zeb, I am not sure if there has been anything over there since the Tavern, right now it's a grassy field not having anything done with it, so I don't think the top soil is an issue. We wouldn't mind buying it if they ever sale it.

Thanks, Zeb.
Cheryl

R

rvbvetter

? ? ?uh!?? ?Finders keepers?? ? I dunno.? :-\ ?How bout finders fee? :D? ? ? ?HH

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Would that finders fee be maybe about, say, 25 to 30 grand? LOL (whatever it is they go for)

Cheryl

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Cheryl....dont keep up waiting!!!! Post your finds! We are all anxious to see what is there.....Good Luck and Merry Christmas ! :)

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
sounds as if you are in a city....if so, get the sanborn fire insurance maps for the tavern/school area for the known years the tavern operated....it will show the building, where it was, tell its size and building material, any other buildings on property, the well house, the outhouse, both of which should prove profitable for coins/stashes,,,,,if a barn was present possibly decent cache or two from bar patrons hiding their money before entering establishment..............gldhntr

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
gypsyheart said:
Cheryl....dont keep up waiting!!!! Post your finds! We are all anxious to see what is there.....Good Luck and Merry Christmas ! :)

We have quite a bit of snow on the ground so I will be looking forward to Spring. I am hoping I will find some cool stuff. Should I talk to the owners now? Or wait until I will actually be MD'ing?

Cheryl

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
:Dwell i guess i have my own cheering squad...lol thanx for the promo..sounds like a good site, i would buy it too.. sounds like the land my uncle use to own in the city but ill post a new one on that...lol

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You'd probably find stuff off that property for the next two decades. I have access to a piece approximately 2 acres in size that I've hunted hard for 13 years. Just last year I made my biggest finds yet there. I found silver, several Indian cents, an old piece of jewelry, and a cache of 19th lumbering tokens. I sold two of the tokens on ebay for $100 each! I had hunted this exact spot many times but had never gotten a signal there before.

Back 100 years ago people purposely buried lots of stuff. Children loved to dig and bury things in the back yard. Many times when I find something really nice there will be a spoon buried nearby. In the old times kids liked to use them for shovels. I think most of the valuable antique jewelry found buried by houses today was put there by children playing "Pirate" or something.

HH
[/quote]

Keep talking, Zeb!! I am getting more and more excited about what I might find!!

Cheryl

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
gldhntr said:
sounds as if you are in a city....if so, get the sanborn fire insurance maps for the tavern/school area for the known years the tavern operated....it will show the building, where it was, tell its size and building material, any other buildings on property, the well house, the outhouse, both of which should prove profitable for coins/stashes,,,,,if a barn was present possibly decent cache or two from bar patrons hiding their money before entering establishment..............gldhntr

We live in a small town about 700 or 800 people live here. So would we still be able to get that information?

Cheryl

OP
OP
Cheryl

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
strykerstalker said:
:Dwell i guess i have my own cheering squad...lol thanx for the promo..sounds like a good site, i would buy it too.. sounds like the land my uncle use to own in the city but ill post a new one on that...lol

I will send an E-Mail soon. Is there a cost?

I will be looking for that post.

Hey, a cheering squad is good! :) Much better than the opposite which would be...... a firing squad? ;D

Cheryl

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hahahah.we are tryin g to light a fire under your butt!!!! :D....get going!!!!.....Just email Stryker and ask him if he can look for your area first .....yes ...cheering squad is much better than a firing squad!!!!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
don't know about the cost for sanborn maps from stryker but lewis at www.utahice.com sells them a buck a peice, on paper, disc, or instant download......................gldhntr

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When did the tavern discontinue operation? You may get lucky and find some of the old beer cans that have a weird shape. I forget what they are called, but they are pretty valuable. If anything you might be able to get a few lids or caps off of them and sell them on ebay. Just letting you know so you don't trash anything ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions