Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II Troy Shadow X-5
Upvote 0

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I wear hearing aids, though not as often as I should.

Two things you should consider. The first is to get digital hearing aids that fit in the ear.
They are hard to see, not hard to wear, and don't interfere with headphones.

The second is to go on the tech part of this forum and look for the Koss equalizer in the mods section.
If you are like me and have areas of high frequency deafness from tools and machinery (mine was from routers and other shop tools) you can adjust the frequencies going to your headphones to some more easily heard for you.

Good Luck,
Mark

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Good suggestion there. Also (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I think many of the higher priced headphones have extra volume, so detecting without hearing aids may be possible. HH, George (MN)

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
:hello2: Hi This is coin finder . I Lost my Hearing about 20 year ago. one day I Just woke up Deaf ! I all most went in my pant when I could Not hear ! But my hearing did come back, but , I can not hear high pitch sound, like my wife kids. I went on the internet and Found this site Schooloutfiter. they sell Headphones with Vol on both side of the Headphone. ( you do not have to have a school to get a Good set of Headphone. I think they are under $ 30.00. and they work Great. I do not have a lot of Money to pay for a Name but that me.. ( I DO NOT SELL THEM ) I do not work for them. I only got a Great pear of Headphones

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear coinfinder;
You wrote:
I can not hear high pitch sound, like my wife kids

If I am not mistaken, this would include just about every married man in the world!
Your friend who still has his hearing (AVM)
LAMAR

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I think that is called "Selective Hearing Loss".

My wife has diagnosed me with that many times.

Good Luck,

Mark

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not need hearing aids yet, but find the higher priced headphones like Grey Ghost, Black Widow and Killr Bees to work very well. They have volume click controls on both ears and amplfie the sound too or you can run it regular. These phones fit around the ears no on them so the comfort is great. http://www.detectorpro.com/headphones.htm

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
For those of us with deafness from use of tools like saws routers etc. volume is not neccesarily the issue.
Tool Deafness can mean that there are frequencies that you just don't hear anymore.
Just cranking up the volume can make the frequencies you can hear just way too loud, while not making it any easier to hear high pitch sounds (like maybe silver tones).

The answer can be as simple as the little Koss in line graphic equalizer that lets you actually change the frequency of the sound coming to your headphones.

I have many years of using cnc routers and high pitched shop tools that have left a few dead spaces in my hearing. I can still hear the silver tones pretty well, but I know a couple of guys that have real trouble with those sounds.

Good Luck,
Mark

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
I have a niece and a nephew who both have hearing aids. The cost of batteries is quite a drain on the pocketbook. I found an internet company that saves them a ton of money on batteries:

http://microbattery.com

The ZeniPower generic batteries they sell last as long (or longer) than the high-priced brands. I buy them the 60-pack. (Disclaimer: I don't work for this company, or make any money from their sales. I just love saving my relatives money on their hearing aid batteries).

---Dan

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use hearing aids but they died and can't afford anymore, I'm disabled. I lost 60% on one side and 70% on the other side. My hearing loss was from heavy equipment Bulldozers and backhoes. The squealing of the tracks on that dozer, I can almost still hear that. I hear what sounds like a eeeeeeeeee constantly. Started detecting 7 yrs ago, all I could afford is a used Garrett 750 which I still use even though it's about to die. I can hear signals, but then so can everyone around me within 50 ft. I hate not being able to talk to people I see in the field. I just act like I didn't see them or tell them I can't hear. I have made some nice finds in the past thanks to the meter on the 750. You really don't need hearing aids while metal detecting, the headphones work good enough. I broke my hearing aids by sweating. Happy Hunting. Cliff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions