MDing SHOULD be banned in all city, state, and federal parks!

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I have to agree with the no's. MDing should be banned in parks. I visited a park in West Branch last week and found many holes left open that a MDer made. The park in Bay City, where I found a 1882 Indian Head the other day, also had similar holes in it today that were not filled. Someone must have seen me MDing, there, the other day and went home and pulled out the Walmart special because the holes in that park were around the trees that I had already hit and all I left was pulltabs and twist tops. I think it is time to ban MDing in the parks and perhaps have a federal license to detect where one has to pass a course like hunting. Those that kill a deer out of season (leave a hole unfilled) get a $1,000 fine and lose their license to detect permanently. There is nothing worse than to have my tax dollar spent on a nice lawn and gardens only to have some idiot destroy it over a penny!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Arizona-James, I suggest you re-read all the replies to your initial post. Your last response makes me think you didn't really register the replies to your initial post.

I know you mean well. And I know you *think* that permits and lobbyist will "save" your hobby. But I don't think you are reading and thinking through the other side of the coin that people are trying to point out to you. And that is: that most often, the tactics you are thinking of (permits, lobbying, asking for clarifications, etc...) will do more harm than good. Because you merely put yourself on the radar in areas where no permission is needed, and quite frankly, no one may care less (until you ask or gripe).

Instead, if there are isolated hot-spots (of which a few must be burning a hole through your bonnett?), then address JUST THOSE spots. Or avoid JUST THAT ONE park worker (or busy body neighbor, etc...). I have seen first-hand where persons go to clarify (afterall, you can't be "too safe", eh? ::)) and presto! They get a "no" where it was never a problem before (some desk clerk gives the easy answer I suppose).

If you re-read some of the replies in your thread, you will that, despite the knee-jerk "feel good" reaction, permits are not a good idea.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Arizona-James, I suggest you re-read all the replies to your initial post. Your last response makes me think you didn't really register the replies to your initial post.

I know you mean well. And I know you *think* that permits and lobbyist will "save" your hobby. But I don't think you are reading and thinking through the other side of the coin that people are trying to point out to you. And that is: that most often, the tactics you are thinking of (permits, lobbying, asking for clarifications, etc...) will do more harm than good. Because you merely put yourself on the radar in areas where no permission is needed, and quite frankly, no one may care less (until you ask or gripe).

Instead, if there are isolated hot-spots (of which a few must be burning a hole through your bonnett?), then address JUST THOSE spots. Or avoid JUST THAT ONE park worker (or busy body neighbor, etc...). I have seen first-hand where persons go to clarify (afterall, you can't be "too safe", eh? ::)) and presto! They get a "no" where it was never a problem before (some desk clerk gives the easy answer I suppose).

If you re-read some of the replies in your thread, you will that, despite the knee-jerk "feel good" reaction, permits are not a good idea.

Human Nature of People
Supposedly In Charge.

(Don't look Dumb, when in doubt
Save face by saying "No you Can't"
instead of saying "I Gotta check
with my Superiors". besides
it's less work )

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to see a Logical Reason why it should
be banned.

Sombody didn't fill a hole ?
(how many animals dig holes ?)
maybe Ban animals.
I'v see holes from Croque poles , Badmitten Nets,
Vollyball Nets. Tent Steaks etc. Not filled in.
so maybe ban Activities like these too.
I'v seen kids dig holes. Let's Ban Kids from
city, state, and federal parks! City Workers
dig Holes Ban city workers.

Ban it because the Grass Dies sometimes.

Ohhh wow ! Poor Poor Grass Blades they must cringe
when somone digs. Does the Ground Cry too ?
Ban swing sets & Sliding Boards.

Ban it because Great Great Grandfather lost That
and now it belongs to a Museum ?
Well Guess what. we are all related to each other somehow,
That was My great great great Grandfater too & He
probably would want me to have it if I find it first.

How many go to places like Getteysburg
to Marvel over whats under the ground ?

How many go Because it's a Historical
part of History ?

How Many would stop Going if nothing is there anymore
But the Park ?

I Don't think Any.
it would still be Gettysburg.

"it's there for Future Generations"
Which One ? Who is this Elite Future
Generation who will get it
and Why ?
are we all of a sudden going to Forget History ?

Yickityoptorus

Greenie
Aug 27, 2009
Well I for one agree that it should be banned and regulated through a Federal licensing system. Dang holes! I've also noticed those bicyclist sometimes veering off the bike trails..Do you know that there are patches with the grass worn clean off. We should license them too! And whats even worse than the bicyclists are those pedestrians all over the place...walking everywhere! I pay good tax dollars for all that grounds maintenance...perhaps a walking license with a little training would set them straight!

Our State Historical Society also invests a lot of money in an effort to maintain our history. All finds should be submitted to them in writing for approval and a judgment on the proper disposition! Why should somebody be able to just take State Property for themselves. Surely you agree Comrades. If someone doesn't follow the rules, fine them and yank their permit!!! It's all for the best interest of the State! Personal freedom to do any dang thing you want should never interfere with the well being of the many....right? :wink:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I was taught in the Boy Scouts, you leave the land in better shape than you found it. That is plain and simple, you dig, you replace the earth and remove trash. Nuff said

cstraiton

Sep 29, 2009
Flatwoods, Kentucky
arizonaames said:
I have to agree with the no's. MDing should be banned in parks. I visited a park in West Branch last week and found many holes left open that a MDer made. The park in Bay City, where I found a 1882 Indian Head the other day, also had similar holes in it today that were not filled. Someone must have seen me MDing, there, the other day and went home and pulled out the Walmart special because the holes in that park were around the trees that I had already hit and all I left was pulltabs and twist tops. I think it is time to ban MDing in the parks and perhaps have a federal license to detect where one has to pass a course like hunting. Those that kill a deer out of season (leave a hole unfilled) get a $1,000 fine and lose their license to detect permanently. There is nothing worse than to have my tax dollar spent on a nice lawn and gardens only to have some idiot destroy it over a penny!

This is a typical knee-jerk reaction that too many people have these day's. If I could ban one thing in the world, it would be your "I don't agree with it so let's ban it" way of thinking. Maybe you should advertise and hold a seminar to educate the beginner detectorists in your town. That would be a more effective way of dealing with the problem instead of infringing on everyone else's freedoms.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
The thing that annoys me is a lot of the parks around here that banned detecting still allow dogs, horses that crap all over and leave hoof marks bigger than most of our holes, picnics that always leave trash, and all kinds of other activities that leave more trash. On the other hand we remove trash especially in wooded areas that are filled with natural holes from animals and fallen tree's even if a detectorist did leave a hole in the middle of the woods who would it effect and would it effect them anymore than the 3 foot craters from the tree's or 2 foot deep groundhog holes? Its all about greed, I think their mentality is if we cant find it no one can.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me that arizonaames is pulling everyone's leg on this deal. At least he'd BETTER be. :icon_pirat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arizonaames said:

Maybe you also need some proper instruction as you said you left pull tabs and twist ties around the trees. Everyone else packs out all the trash we dig up besides filling any holes.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Sandman said:
arizonaames said:

Maybe you also need some proper instruction as you said you left pull tabs and twist ties around the trees. Everyone else packs out all the trash we dig up besides filling any holes.

Only in your made up BS head, Sandman. You seem to be an expert on everything but I assure you that you are lacking in many aspects of detecting and getting your facts right.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SM has helped probably hundreds of members here with his knowledge, both on the forums and privately via PM's including myself in his 5+ years on TN.

My tax dollars pay to maintain the parks just as much as yours or anyone else, I have as much right there to enjoy my hobby as anybody throwing a ball, Frisbee, or playing with their dog. Why not a license to take a dog to the park, a license to throw a ball, or a license to play with a Frisbie? Same logic........

Your so sure it was left by someone else detecting, yet have no proof it was, refuse to even acknowledge it may have been a wild animal and you want to ban detecting in the parks for all of us, :dontknow: sure take away everyone elses right to detect in the parks because you suspect something m-i-g-h-t have happen, lot of logic there. ::)

I have talked to park rangers about holes found in the local parks here that look like someone dug while detecting, and was told by the rangers they were left there by raccoons digging for grubs, not someone detecting.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arizonaames said:
Sandman said:
arizonaames said:

Only in your made up BS head, Sandman. You seem to be an expert on everything but I assure you that you are lacking in many aspects of detecting and getting your facts right.

arizonaames - Is this what Sandman was talking about (the red text)?

We don't need any more legislation. Rather, help to educate those in your area.

Jimmy(PA) - Great avatar! Banner!

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
DigginThePast said:
arizonaames said:
Sandman said:
arizonaames said:

arizonaames - Is this what Sandman was talking about (the red text)?

We don't need any more legislation. Rather, help to educate those in your area.

Jimmy(PA) - Great avatar! Banner!

Haha thanks, I like it too.

pitbullfan

Sep 18, 2009
Newton Grove, NC
Detector(s) used
First: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Now: Excal
Dude don't ban MDing, I'm just getting started. AZ i'm with Treasure Hunter....how do you know these holes were left by a MDer? Is it possible someone/something else made these holes?

Where I live most parks are open to detecting....well at least theres no signs stating it isnt allowed, i need to obtain a permit, need to sign in, pay a fee, or any other BS. I go, I MD, I fill in my holes, and then I go home. That's the way I prefer to keep it. I also prefer to go on really cold days, early in the morning, and other times when few folks are using the parks. I do this mainly to not draw attention to myself, and I have had ZERO problems.

I for one plan on keeping my mouth shut about my wonderful hobby to the govt. I prefer they leave me alone to enjoy myself while I'm unwinding after working all week and paying them an unreal amount of taxes and fees to be wasted on things like permitting my hobbies.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
arizonaames, pitbullfan is right: The only thing that seeking sanctions will do, is back-fire and cast attention where you/we don't want it. Better just to avoid whatever hot-spots are a burr-in-your-bonnet, and pick another park, or avoid just that one park worker, etc.... Believe me, I've seen this many times in my nearly 35 years: A city's parks or schools have never had a problem (it never even occured to anyone there might be, or that there was ever a reason to "ask" or "petition" or whatever). Then one day someone takes it upon themselves to waltz in to city hall to "make sure that detecting is ok", and gets a "no"! See how that psychology works? They probably get some desk-bound clerk whos image is geeks with shovels, or whatever. But truth be told, no one cares less (until you ask or make a fuss).

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to flip the coin over. If all parks banned detectors, I would not give up the hobby. Nothing says "cleaned out" like your local park. For a while, I could find a couple goodies in the back areas and woods of the parks, but now even the woods are bare. I could be wrong, but I guess 80 to 90 percent of finds are made in places other than parks. At least mine are.

It's a grim reality that more and more untrained beginners are hacking up our parks, and I don't like it either. This activity gives all responsible detectorists a bad public image. The oblivious newbies invariably attack the parks first, digging their pull tabs, nails and rusty beer bottle caps while leaving the lawns full of holes. Even in the banned parks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arizonaames said:
Sandman said:
arizonaames said:

What the heck are you attacking me for? I am not an expert as you seem to think I am. I only have a lot of experience to try to help others from not making the same mistakes I have. If you don't like me helping people maybe you should stay out in the desert or take your meds. It is rude to say I am full of BS. But I try to keep it under control. ;D

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
I also dislike the lazy/stupid/ uncareing MD'er that makes big messes out of the public enjoyment areas where ever it is. But I don't want any more intrusions or licenseing by govt anywhere in my life. You give them a tiny little bite of something and you find out, when not looking, they ate the whole thing and what's left is "taxed out the gazoo!" Be on the lookout for the bad MD'ers and try reasoning with them to clean up their act as it may have consequences. Most holes over a short period of time will heal themselves. Relic hunting excavation pits, in public areas, is a differant story. If all else fails "beat the hell out of them." (In private of course and no witnesses.) OK now everyone can have a shot at me. Guess at this point I'm fair game!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread