New-Found-Ther!!!(need help)

mikelb

Jul 23, 2004
glad to see a new treasure hunter,use that detector in both areas when you first start out you will be digging every signal and might get discouraged that you are digging junk,but that is good too,as you will need practice learning your machine and pinpointing,and properly cutting a plug or probing!you should get more hits around the house,but the woods should be good too!
good luck!!mike

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
The best advise that I can give you is learn to slow down. Get used to your machine, let it talk to you. My detector is my interpriter. I can't speak to the ground but it can. Just get to know how it works, take your time and don't expect to get rich. Looking in any yard of that era will most surely turn up some goodies. When I have been away for a while I still hunt my yard. And remember the thrill is the hunt. Let us know how it goes from time to time.

L

LEVERK5102

? Hi Joshau.

? ?You have entered a great hobby and more then likely a wonderful addiction. Your yard is a great place to start. Before I would even start digging for targets I would plant a little test garden of coins in a area of your yard. This will help you get to know your detector a little bit more; and of course read and reread your manual. It takes many week or months to learn your detector. I've been detecting for four years now and I still learn things. So don't get discouraged! Take your time and have fun. Practice your digging. Try and make it look like you were never there.

? ? ? ? ? ? Goodluck Kerry

OP
OP
N

New-Comer

THXS!! Once I get my metal detector I'm sure to take in all the things you said! Hopefully I'll get it in the next month actually I KNOW I will ;D

OP
OP
N

New-Comer

Oh Yeh!! Did I forget to mention behind my house there supposed to build a nursing home??? They've been working on it for 4 YEARS and havent gotten much work done on it at ALL. So the first 1-1/2 feet are dug up on the ground so my metal detecting should be easy over there. :D Joshua

L

LEVERK5102

That sounds good Joshau

? It is a lot easier digging in soft dirt. You can use a little trawl or a little bigger shovel. Just remember to take your trash out and to fill your holes. If you practice that from the get go it will become 2nd nature.
? Also when digging on someones property I usuall dig with about a 6 or 7 inch probe. When you get a signal it goes easily into the ground without the big holes.. You feel it hit your target then open the whole just big enough to try and pop it up with your probe or your finger. Then it's easy to close it up again and make it look like you were never there.. It takes practice but when you get that down you can start detecting other peoples lawns.
? ?Goodluck with you new detector

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Kerry(not John Kerry)? :)

OP
OP
N

New-Comer

Well its not really ne1s lawn they're tryin to build a nursing home behind my houe so its kinda public/state property....

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
Welcome to TH you have recieved some good advice, and have came, in my opinion, to the best forum for quick and easy answers. From,( what is this?) to ( how can I?) If you don't rush your self you will be baggin the goods in no time. Good luck and HH Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread