ARE NEWER MACHINES ONLY GOOD FOR FINDING THE OLDER COINS........??

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
......I guess that I'm well rounded and enjoy finding all types of valuables not just coins......I like finding the old toys, tokens, farm equipment, old and new jewelry, old bottles and old marbles just to name a fraction of what we can and do find everyday!!.............At least to me it sounds like at least the Coin Hunter in our midst is CHERRYPICKING ..........his designated sites and really do not want to be bothered by the readouts that could be Gold Rings and Nickels, also will not dig the Pulltab or the Foil Signals...........this can easily be done today with either the Whites Spectra V3 or the Minelab E-Trac!!..............Now I am not against this ......it has been going on since the invention of the Discriminator Circuit!!................What I am bothered by is that some are touting these Newer Machines and Claiming that they are so Superior to all of the rest just because of their High Silver Coin Count!!...........................Some people are not trying to get a High Silver Coin count because they are also after all of the other type Goodies mentioned already!!...........JUST ANOTHER VIEW FROM ANOTHER ANGLE.....................LOL...............and HH..........Joe

Upvote 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats wrong with going after silver coins? Believe it or not the Newer machines will respond to the same targets non metered machines, only with a little more information. So if you want to dig pulltabs looking for a gold ring you can. Or if your after foil you can do that to.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, some of the newbies think going after the silver is the only way to go to have fun. The newer detectors with their readouts let the newbies think they are finding just the older coins when the coins on edge or near iron change the reading enough that they pass them up thinking it is just foil or more trash. The change of sweep speed or direction can also discuise the reading. Sort of like Elmer Fudd hunting white rabbits only in the woods. They don't know what they are missing. :laughing7:

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dirtscratcher said:
Whats wrong with going after silver coins? Believe it or not the Newer machines will respond to the same targets non metered machines, only with a little more information. So if you want to dig pulltabs looking for a gold ring you can. Or if your after foil you can do that to.
.........................DIRTSCRATCHER........If you are digging little to no trash.......I CAN GUARANTEE THAT YOU ARE LEAVING A LOT OF GOODIES BEHIND.........I guess that I am different .......I have been Hunting for almost 40 years and get as much of a thrill over finding a Square Nail or old Cork-type bottle as I do a Indian Head Penny or Barber dime!!..........Silver Coins are nice but they are not the End of Ends!!............I have found some nice Orphan Annie Radio Premiums, Civil War Game Tokens, Civil War and War of 1812 Buttons, old Political Advertising tokens...........not counting all of the bullets, shells, gartner hooks, old watches, lots of what-nots!!............I probably have 1000's of items that are not coins.................. A good investment is to get a copy of the 1908 Sears Roebuck Catalog.......a lot of stuff actually fell off other stuff like old tractors, Model T's and Model A's, old appliances.......and this is just a scratching the surface.....................

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My answer would be no! They were finding old coins with detectors long before many of you were born! I think it takes a combination of skill and luck. A modern machine can't hurt , but isn't completely necessary. Monty

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll never lose a minutes sleep worrying what I left in the ground, I have to much fun.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, Ive been at it a while too. I would love to hunt civil wars relics or war of 1812. I dig according to digging conditions' where I can I'lldig everything. Nice lawn, as litle as possible. If somone wants to cherrypick why do you care. Since I can remember I've hunted everything from rabbits to elk. If someone told me they only hunt deer, I would be glad he was at least a hunter.

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dirtscratcher said:
Joe, Ive been at it a while too. I would love to hunt civil wars relics or war of 1812. I dig according to digging conditions' where I can I'lldig everything. Nice lawn, as litle as possible. If somone wants to cherrypick why do you care. Since I can remember I've hunted everything from rabbits to elk. If someone told me they only hunt deer, I would be glad he was at least a hunter.
.................CHERRYPICKERS are my FRIENDS..........LOL.........HH.......Joe

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
A detector new or old is like a spouse. They don't describe everything the way you want to hear it. Dig the coins up to see the difference between silver and clad. You will want to see it to believe it. Even a ring on it's side looks like a pull tab to the machine. Get the experience with the detector and that will partially answer your question.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New(er) machines MAY find more silver in heavily hunted areas due to a bit more depth. But, only if the silver is there in the first place. Many operators that have lots of experience with older machines will often match or surpass a novice with a super machine so new is not any guarantee of success.
HH
Bill

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't be bothered with a discriminator button. To me, that button is just there for show; more bells and whistles :laughing9: You know your machine, you may have an idea of what you will find. many times it's not what I thought it was, but I liked it anyway. A good find is a good find. Let people cherrypick, that's more for the rest of us.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seamuss said:
A detector new or old is like a spouse. They don't describe everything the way you want to hear it. Dig the coins up to see the difference between silver and clad. You will want to see it to believe it. Even a ring on it's side looks like a pull tab to the machine. Get the experience with the detector and that will partially answer your question.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ask are newer machines only good for older coins? The answer would be no. Like I said before they respond to metal in the ground with more information than older machines. Its still up to you to dig or not. If you don't like newer machines thats fine, but saying that you won't find this or that is silly.

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dirtscratcher said:
You ask are newer machines only good for older coins? The answer would be no. Like I said before they respond to metal in the ground with more information than older machines. Its still up to you to dig or not. If you don't like newer machines thats fine, but saying that you won't find this or that is silly.
..............I guess that you misunderstood............I never said that I won't find this or that.............CHERRY PICKERS ARE MY FRIENDS..........I just choose to find it all and treasure the old square nail just as much as a Barber Dime or even an old trade token!!......I am just talking out of experience.......I have friends who own the Explorers, E-Trac and the Whites Spectra......they tend to skip signals that are not known Silver Targets....and or even the questionable iffy ones..........I like the iffy signals............................I guess that I offended you cause you are proud of your new Machine..............The New machines are Good but not infallible ................Have fun.......but sometimes for the heck of it why don't you dig those iffy signals and see what you are leaving for us old timers.................LOL.............Joe

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never understood why some people won't see the obvious advantages of new technology in detectors. If we go to buy a new home radio for the stereo that advertises new station tracking, you don't see people claiming the older stereos were better. New detector technology is still up to the user to use properly or not. Used right, and it will find just as much, and more, then the older detectors.

The newer detectors do allow you to cherry pick, and do a better job at it, but they also will find that iffy stuff just as well or better. Its up to the user on how they use the information a detector returns.

Cherry picking is a choice its not a forced function of new detectors.

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digger said:
I've never understood why some people won't see the obvious advantages of new technology in detectors. If we go to buy a new home radio for the stereo that advertises new station tracking, you don't see people claiming the older stereos were better. New detector technology is still up to the user to use properly or not. Used right, and it will find just as much, and more, then the older detectors.

The newer detectors do allow you to cherry pick, and do a better job at it, but they also will find that iffy stuff just as well or better. Its up to the user on how they use the information a detector returns.

....................DIGGER.........EVERYTHING IS A CHOICE.........Some people do say that the old stereos are better...............I like the old Phonographs..............and the old Records too......I have used the Newer Detectors..................it is my choice and I do not care for them.......I like detectors that have a threshold control.........not silent search ............I like the Manual Ground Balance......and a lot of the other Manual controls...................At least I have tried to use the newer machines ........Have you at least tried to use a COMPASS X100 OR A COMPASS COINSCANNER or even a Goldscanner............or a Whites 4900........or a Wilson ATD.......Good Luck .......Joe

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digger said:

...................OF COURSE CHERRY PICKING FOR SILVER COINS IS A CHOICE.........I have a friend who only wanted the Silver Coins......he said that he could find info thru the Red Book and Blue Books plus could go to Coin shops to buy, trade and sell plus get more info.........you should see this guys junk box.........he throws everything that is not a Coin or Silver into this box..............I have seen old tokens, old military buttons, old silverware, Orphan Annie Radio Premiums, old knives, old fishing lures, old gun parts and I could go on and on...............and he considers all of this junk.........he has upgraded to one of the Newer Machines and says that he will not waste his time digging anything that is not a Silver Coin....................NEWER MACHINES ARE NICE............ BUT...............they can make the operator make bad choices................and/or just opt not to dig certain targets......I know........NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE THIS.........SOME OPERATORS WITH THE NEW MACHINES ARE VERY THOROUGH AND VERY PROFESSIONAL..................but some are not.......maybe these are mainly the Newbies or the very Casual Hunter.................I do not know...............I got started Metal Detecting in an Era when we had very little info......if it beeped .....you dug.......if it went silent .........you could dig or ignore it.....we dug...............Sometimes I feel that we have too much info these days...................Some will not dig a Pull Tab or a Screw Cap but are amazed with someones collection of Gold Rings and other Miscellaneous Items that were found digging these Pull Tab and Screw Cap type Signals.............Your choice........ New and Silver Coins Only.............but remember that their is a World of other choices........................LOL............Joe

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what we have is a bit of envy, and with good reason.

Some 20 years ago, pulling old coins at 6", was recognition that the user had mastered the skill and the detector. Today, even the entry level detectors are not only capable of pull old coins at 6", but also can tell the user what it is. A lot of these new features are designed to help the novice achieve what use to take years to master. While this may make some old timers a bit upset, rest assured that skill is still required to achieve those depths beyond 7".

The difference is, a highly skilled detectorist was required to achieve 6-7" then, while today that same skill, on a new machine, can reach an astounding 10" or more.

The detector only supplies the user with info. Its up to the user on how they choose to use it. Don't blame the machine.

For those old timers that know how to tune a radio and know what station they want a new radios features may seem a waste, but for others new an old, hitting a search button and letting the radio find the stations can be a valuable tool.

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digger said:
I think what we have is a bit of envy, and with good reason.

Some 20 years ago, pulling old coins at 6", was recognition that the user had mastered the skill and the detector. Today, even the entry level detectors are not only capable of pull old coins at 6", but also can tell the user what it is. A lot of these new features are designed to help the novice achieve what use to take years to master. While this may make some old timers a bit upset, rest assured that skill is still required to achieve those depths beyond 7".

The difference is, a highly skilled detectorist was required to achieve 6-7" then, while today that same skill, on a new machine, can reach an astounding 10" or more.

The detector only supplies the user with info. Its up to the user on how they choose to use it. Don't blame the machine.

For those old timers that know how to tune a radio and know what station they want a new radios features may seem a waste, but for others new an old, hitting a search button and letting the radio find the stations can be a valuable tool.
........YEA DIGGER ........I HAVE A BIT OF ENVY...........LOL......Over 20 years ago I was and still am pulling out coins from the 10 to 12 inch level.....the problem today is not the depth ....it is target masking.......many coins and other valuables are being found at relatively shallow depths but are surrounded and maybe partially covered by ferrous targets.....Good target separation is not a new feature ......many if not most of the old Compass Detectors have excellent target separation and will find coins with nails and all sorts of ferrous debri in the way!!......You never answered my question.....have you at least tried some of the older machines especially a Compass Gold or Coin Scanner or a even a Compass X100.......many other choices too of course...........Good Luck...............Joe

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never answered my question.....have you at least tried some of the older machines especially a Compass Gold or Coin Scanner or a even a Compass X100

I have been swing a detector for 30 years, so yes I have used many of the older detectors. That is why I must say if you were pulling coins out at 10-12" over 20 years ago, you were the only one. There wasn't any Internet forums back then, but I did get all the treasure mags that told what people were finding and how deep. I used a Tesoro Inca and Mayan for many years and to be quite honest, I don't think I could detect a coin much below 7-8" at the most on a good day. In 1991 I bought a White's Spectrum Eagle and made a good leap in depth. The old TR/VLF's really didn't go that deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread