Looking to get a new detector.

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
For the last few weeks I have been reading around on here. This sure is an intersting site. When I was a child I got a small Radio Shack detector that I found in my items from my recent move. Just yesterday it helped me find a screw that fell off of my mower, but the shaft is too short for me to use for any extended length of time.

I am looking to spend from $150- $300 on a new detector. I would like the machine to have an adjustable volume, headphone port, and would like the detector to work on a variety of terrains from fields, to the woods, to the beaches along the Atlantic. I understand that this is accomplished by ground balancing, but I do not know what the manufacturers call this on the specification list.

I have been looking at Tesoro, Garrett, and Bounty Hunter detectors, since they are in my price range. I have been reading reviews online, but I never know what reviews to take seriously.

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Haven't a clue where you live, but there should be a store somewhere in your area that sells metal detectors.

Go touch and feel them. See which ones you like the feel of in your price range, then start to weed out the undesirable ones by features you are looking for, or looking to avoid.

Once you have done that, T'net has a great forum on comparing machines to each other written by field users. This will give you a great idea once you have narrowed the numbers down a little.

Welcome to TN and good luck with all your hunts.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net

I own an Ace 250 and I am most happy with it, about $230. I am also reading up the the Tesoro and find them to be very interesting too. I will look into their Tiger Shark for underwater hunting. I guess you can't go wrong with any selection. I also suggest that you visit the Brands Forum and just read several posts, they will stee you in the right direction.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all means, try to visit a dealer to handle the detectors in your price range to see what you like. Don't check online and then visit a dealer to handle them and go home to order online. UPS drops many electronics or delivers to wrong addresses more times than you realize.

The Ace 250 is within your price line and it is a nice detector for the money as are many entry level units from the major companies.

As for the field tests you read about, they can give you an idea of the features each detector has and how useful it will be. As for a author falsifying the finds he has made, you can take that with a grain of salt but they are mainly true or we would know about it. Remember if we told the truth about the down sides of a certain detector we wouldn't get to get paid to work for that company again.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet!
:headbang: I've Never had any lost deliverys with UPS. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range, you'll find it hard to find a detector that has adjustable or auto ground balance. May will recommend the Ace 250, and it IS a great first detector. It also has fixed GB and will be hard pressed to "do it all." I have one; I can say this from experience. You are really asking a lot of the average detector, to be so many things, all in one package.

Honestly, the marine environment should have its own detector. While the dry sand presents no real problems, the wet salt water mineralizes the sand at the waters edge, and so plays havoc with most VLF detectors. It is also a dangeous place for the unwary detectorist, who doesn't have a waterproof, marine grade detector. One dunk from a misstep or rogue wave, and ...."zzzZZzttTT!" - your detector is fried. Ad don't even get me started talking about the places sand can get into on a detector...

There are a few detectors, though, that spring to mind as suitable, on the used market.

- First, is the Garrett GTP 1350. You can get lucky now and then and find one at $300. It is one of the best all around detectors out there, and it has a salt elimination feature. It is one of those features that sounds better than it works, but it helps at the wet sand.

- Another good choice is one of the l;ater White's ID models, like the ID Pro or XL. These have a black sand feature that helps them function at the salt shore, too. Make sure you get that on one.

- Tesoro's Vaquero can often be had for $300, give or take. It has a manual ground balance, which can be adjusted by you the user. It is also a good performer all around, albeit it is a little skimpy on features.

I suggest you not be afraid to step up from the so-called "entry level" units. With a mid level model, there is more room to grow as you gain experience. And if you buy one used, you don't lose much money (if any) if you find detecting is not your cup of tea.

So be patient. Haunt the classifieds on the various forums and post your wishes - and budget - in these places. Be upfront with your wishes and your budget and someone will likely come to your aid. Also, check local pawn shops and run an ad in your area craigslist's "wanted" sections.

Keep in mind too that in addition to a detector, you'll need headphones, quality digging tools, the right attire for the conditions, a decent car with gas in it to get you where you will detect, money for batteries and lunches away from home...

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend has an ace 250 and has found more gold than I... I guess he is lucky. I borrowed his for a while and it is a coin/gold findin fool...

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read some good reviews on the Teknetics Delta. They are under $300 now and come with headphones and pinpointer, at least it does from metaldetector.com

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
I've read some good reviews on the Teknetics Delta. They are under $300 now and come with headphones and pinpointer, at least it does from metaldetector.com
My friend just got one and he says its pretty nice. I haven't tried it but it reminds me of a cross between an Ace 250 and an X-30.

OP
OP
GreatWhite00

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I am in NE Ohio (Mantua).

You know, I never really thought of used until now. Craigslist has nothing locally. I know of a few pawn shops, but not any local detector shops. They are probably out there, I just don't get out enough.

I am thinking Tesoro Silver or Gold Umax, any feedback on these? I don't think I'll get to the beach as much as I would like in this segment of my life. I'll likely stick to Ohio fields and parks.

Since all I really do is work, I should have no problem saving up for a quality detector (bills always find their way in).

I will research these detectors that are mentioned, and hopefully find one in the near future.

Right now I have one Saab and quite a few bicycles for transportation. These will get me where I need to go, I hope.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreatWhite00 said:

You know, I never really thought of used until now. Craigslist has nothing locally. I know of a few pawn shops, but not any local detector shops. They are probably out there, I just don't get out enough.

I am thinking Tesoro Silver or Gold Umax, any feedback on these? I don't think I'll get to the beach as much as I would like in this segment of my life. I'll likely stick to Ohio fields and parks.

Since all I really do is work, I should have no problem saving up for a quality detector (bills always find their way in).

I will research these detectors that are mentioned, and hopefully find one in the near future.

Right now I have one Saab and quite a few bicycles for transportation. These will get me where I need to go, I hope.

For what will ultimately start out as casual detecting one of the Tesoros mentioned will do nicely. I have or have had both. The Golden is one of my favorites, but for all around use, I'd suggest you look to either the Silver or a Cibola.
They are simple to operate, and are generally powerful enough. They offer good target separation, fast response and there are several coils available. The search coil is really the heart of the "system" and having more than one is a good thing. Id suggest the 5.75" coil in addition to the factory stock coil.
They are feather light if you want to sling them for bike riding, they use only one 9V battery and neither will break the bank. And should you find that this isn't your "thing," they both hold their value better than most.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The Tesoro Silver U-max is a joy to use except under powerlines.
Super light, run it on full sensitivity, no falsing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreatWhite00 said:

There are usually many good used detectors on the for sale board from trusted members here. I have bought 6 used detectors, 3 off of here, 1 off of another site, and 2 off of EBay, every one of them arrived in perfect working order.....

OP
OP
GreatWhite00

GreatWhite00

Sep 7, 2009
Cleveland ,Oh
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
I ended up getting a Vaquero for a good price, a little ways south of here. I haven't been able to get out yet (weather & work), but I'm really excited.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread