Which metal detector is right for me and where should I buy it?

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Not a whole heck of a lot of info there. Really just more of a plug from a dealer trying to get people to buy from their dealers instead of from the Internet. A noble gesture for sure but local dealers are certainly a dying breed. I bought off of the Internet and have no regrets. But a dealer can be helpful for some people who want to try out a couple of different units and have narrowed it down to a specific brand.

OP
OP
ResearchandRecovery

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
jb7487 said:
Not a whole heck of a lot of info there. Really just more of a plug from a dealer trying to get people to buy from their dealers instead of from the Internet. A noble gesture for sure but local dealers are certainly a dying breed. I bought off of the Internet and have no regrets. But a dealer can be helpful for some people who want to try out a couple of different units and have narrowed it down to a specific brand.

I am not a dealer of metal detectors and I am not associated with an brand of detectors nor am I associated with any dealer of metal detectors. I am not promoting any dealers in this article. This article is written for the region of Columbia, SC and cited the aforementioned dealer listed in the article as being a local dealer simply because he is the only local dealer besides department stores. Others wanting to get into the hobby may want to know this insightful information especially if they do not want the frustration or confusion with their purchase.

There are a few select internet dealers who are willing to go out of the way and help, but it is far and few between. As a person getting into any hobby that is expensive to get into, would you rather have peace of mind buying from someone in person or someone across the nation?

Once again, I don't want to ruffle any feathers, just wanted to post this article that I thought would be useful for the future of our hobby.

-Ian

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have promoted the use of the internet for research. There are too many different brands out there and too many models of each of those. Before I bought my MXT, I surfed many metal detector forums and did a lot of research to narrow it down to a few models. I then found the best price I could and that happened to be on the internet.

No offense but the article did not come close to answering the question posed.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is important to choose which type of detector and detecting you may want to do so you do not waste money with a unit that isn't up to the task. The Tesoro site helps educate you into the various types of hunting. http://www.tesoro.com/info/faq/generaldetecting/

The article was only to tell people a little about the hobby and where they might get more information is all. I strongly stress newcomers to the hobby to use a local dealer if one is near so they can handle the various detectors and see the differences. You generally won't save any money by then going online to buy as the machines are so close in price that you would waste your time looking instead of handling. Some of the online dealers include free "junk and Trash" at inflated prices to lure you into buying from them. Many also charge you shipping where with a local dealer you get to carry the detector home and not have to worry about UPS throwing your electronics around from truck to truck or delivering it to the wrong address.

If you think it is easy to file a lost package claim with UPS you are mistaken. They lost a package on me and it took 9 months to get reimbursed and it took the court to get me my money. :hello2:

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I'm just saying that if you take away the dealer plug there isn't a whole lot of information there. Basically, the story says "there are different types of machines for different types of detecting". Nothing really earth shattering there. It's good information for someone new to the hobby. That's for sure. But it only scratches the surface and certainly doesn't even come close to answering the question "Which metal detector is right for me?".

I'm not trying to be pedantic. I know that there is no perfect answer. But the article covers only the first question in a series of questions they should ask themselves. To me, the article spent a lot more time trying to make a case for buying from a dealer than it really did trying to help educate newcomers to the hobby.

The biggest problem that I see with dealers is that they have limited offerings and only service one or two manufacturers. So if you already know that you want a Minelab and you have a local Minelab dealer nearby then you could benefit from going to that dealer for help. But if you don't even know what brands you might be interested in then going to a dealer that specializes in only one brand only serves to pigeonhole you into that single brand. It's like living out in the middle of nowhere and the only car dealer around sells Chevy's. Now if I want a Chevy then I'm in good shape. But if I don't like Chevy's or if I haven't made up my mind what brand of car I'm interested in, then going to a Chevy dealer isn't going to be very useful. I guarantee you that if I do drive away in a car that it will be a Chevy. But that doesn't mean that a Chevy is the "right car for me".

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest going to a Local Dealer if
there is one For Information.

Then go online & Buy from Kellyco
Or one of our other Supporters
at a better price :wink:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only local dealer I know of sells White's. I'm sure there other dealers close, but if they all carry only brand, it doesn't help very much. That said, their prices were competitive with online dealers, and if I were in the market for say a PI Dual Field, I'd buy from them first in a heart beat.

My second choice would probably be from metaldetector.com, because my first experience with them was a great one. I bought a Cleansweep coil from them, so it isn't like they were getting rich off my order, but they treated me like it was a big order. They seem to be very big on service.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought from, and highly recommend TC MetalDetectors out of CT.I bought from him online. Tony is great to deal with, I would not hesitate a second to buy from him again....

http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jeff of pa said:
I suggest going to a Local Dealer if
there is one For Information.

Then go online & Buy from Kellyco
Or one of our other Supporters
at a better price :wink:
:icon_thumleft: ditto ,what jeff said :icon_thumright:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great article. My wife and I are dealers her here in NC. I would say there is a HUGE edge buying a detector from your local dealer ONLY if he or she takes the time to take you out and teach you some techniques after you buy the machine. I have sold folks detectors here on t-net and folks locally who are also on t-net! lol I always offer to take people out after the purchase. It's like buying insurance from an agent or buying from a t.v. An agent is personal and you can call he or she at home if there is ever a problem. If you are new to the hobby I strongly recommend buying local. Only if the dealer is in it to help train you. If you feel the dealer isn't then, by all means buy from the computer..You may save a few bucks as well. But, There is nothing not even a few bucks that can replace having a dealer who is willing to save you 6 months of education you would have to learn on your own! I give my clients my settings that took me months to figure out in the area saving them the frustration. Yeah, buy Locally for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions