Gold Coins

J

JBEIA

I am still looking for my first gold coin. Anyone out there know what years the most gold coins were released into circulation or being used? I want to narrow my search down to sites that were in heavy use at the time gold coins were most prevelant. Tried to do some research but can not find much info. Seems they were used in the late 1800s and very early 1900s, would be helpful to know how many coins were put into circulation each year. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

JBE

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I've seen a few reports that state that a week before Roosevelt ordered gold to be removed as currency approximately 6000 banks nationwide went belly up due to a panic and rush.? Everyone withdrew everything they had.? It was reported that at the time, approximately 15% of all known gold coins in circulation disappeared.? Late 1933.?

A lot of gold is buried in small caches, but if you think of 1933 as having a bit more modern population, then it might be reasonable to conclude that a lot of that gold and the silver and paper that were stashed then went into walls, basement hideaways, garages and attics.? The times and places where people live often dictate their methods of hiding things, monies, etc..? Since a lot more of those people who did it then would have lived in more urban areas, it's less likely they would have a secluded spot to dig a hole and hide their loot as in years past.? So it depends what part of the country you're in and what the demographics were at the times you target.? The earliest settlers would have buried loot or stashed it in rocks, rock walls, chimney stashes in cabins, old trees that are long gone.?

Some urban populations, usually newly arrived immigrants, followed patterns of those in the old world, keeping tins of small caches, "rainy day" monies in gardens.? Do you have a part of town that was populated by one or maybe two ethnic groups originally?? Lots of big cities have neighborhoods named after the ethnic populations that filled them at various times.? Stereotyping is permitted when treasure hunting, if it works toward the desired end.? For instance I think we'd stay away from those Scot settlements, they had everything they could spare in their wallet and it was glued to their arse.... (As an example only!)

OP
OP
J

JBEIA

Thanks for the info. Want to do some research and see what parks, picnic grounds, ect were in use when gold coins were used widely. I thought that matching up the years when people used them the most would give me a greater chance of finding one. Can't find out how many gold coins were put into circulation each of the years they were produced. Thought some of the people in the forum would know. I am currently searching an old home site that was used from late 1800s until last year. It was a farm and the amount of junk in the yard has been discouraging, but maybe someone buried a pot of gold coins in the back yard in 1933.

Thanks again.

JBE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions