Anybody know of any NJ coppers being found in Vermont?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing the circulation study of New Jersey Coppers for a few years now and am finally trying to finalize an article on it and as I was going over my spreadsheet of all the reported finds, I cannot find one NJ copper being reported to me as being found in the state of Vermont? Now that surprises me, I am sure some have been found, but just not have had contact with the people who have. If anybody knows of anyone that did find a NJ copper in Vermont, please PM me.

That is one state I would expect a NJ copper to be found in, now some of the others are not a surprise, but here are some of the fringe area states I have not had one reported found in.

Indiana
Illinois
Michigan
Florida
Missouri
Alabama
Louisiana

Don

Upvote 0
Well Don, Here's one for you...... I found one here in Manitoba at a late 1700's fur trade post. It was badly corroded from being in a midden mound mixed with organics. Looking at the details and a partial date, I figured it was 1786. The only writing I could make out was the NOVA CAESREA. I could see a horse and shield, so I knew that it was a New Jersey colonial coin. Not enough visibility to make out which variation it is.
I figured that it may have been traded or brought over by traders or Indians.
This is the oldest U.S. coin I have ever found. (I only hunt in Canada)
Good luck,
Dave.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dave, that makes the 4th one reported to me found in Canada.

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Thanks Dave, that makes the 4th one reported to me found in Canada.

Don

This reminds me, throw another down for here. My digging bud was just telling me last time out he ID'ed one of his crusty coppers as being a NJ. I also have a friend in NB that found at least one several years ago, one I had never mentioned.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, IP, I remember last week that one fellow I PM'd you about said he found one, but when asked for any particulars on it, he did not reply (C4 President asked him)

So, 1 from your area and one from NB, correct, but know no dates of course if in bad shape?

Don

Still none from Vermont reported, got to be someone out there! :dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
OK, IP, I remember last week that one fellow I PM'd you about said he found one, but when asked for any particulars on it, he did not reply (C4 President asked him)

So, 1 from your area and one from NB, correct, but know no dates of course if in bad shape?

Don

Still none from Vermont reported, got to be someone out there! :dontknow:

Total is 2 from here, 1 from NB. It's each of my digging buds who found them.

You must be talking about Grapes on the c4? I wouldn't be surprised if those guys dug at least one, they have found some CTs and a realy good VT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread