Best detector on the market?

pp13bnos

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2005
Hey guys, I'm currently using a XLT and a MXT. I've been thinking about upgrading to something else, perhaps a DFX or a Minelab explorer II. Whatever it is, I would like something used for coin hunting, relic, and very rarely a little gold hunting. If money was no object what detector would you guys recomend?

One thing I realy like about whites, is that they are just a couple miles away, and the costomer service.

CJ

Upvote 0

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I would vote Minelab too. What I do wish they would do is give the EX II water detector qualities.
I was torn between an Explorer and an Excalibur for my next detector, and finally went with the Excal. Ordered it today.
I prefer the qualities of the Explorer, but wanted a water detector. Using a $1000+ detector on the beach, or the wet, worries me.
I would like to have both an Excal and Explorer, but cannot justify the expense to Wifey. I do not actually need another land detector. So, with the Excal, I can search in rain, wet grass, lakes, surf, underwater etc. And no worries if caught in the rain.
But I wish I had both.
Sigh!
Hugger ?

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Well of course the common belief is whatever detector is in your hand is the best as long as you know it etc from what a lot on here say. I flat out dissagree with this line of thinking. In an extreme example, is a very proficient ace 250 user going to do as well as a very proficient DFX or Explorer user? Obviously not. The machine does matter.

The important thing is after the hunting area and style are taken into consideration and the research is done and decision has been made, mastering the machine becomes the priority. Otherwise, why do any of you ever bother upgrading? Research is necessary, referrals are worth consideration. In my train of thinking, I want the best equipment I can afford to run whenever I am going to hunt, same reason I don't rely on discrim. I don't want to miss things that would be out of the last guys reach.

And before anybody brings this up, yes there has to be something in the ground before any detector will find it. Hunting ground should be researched with the same enthusiasm if not more.

-Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the diggin' dog was Zeb's idea, but by hitchin him to your empty handle he makes a lot bigger coil! Monty ::)

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
my under water machine from radio shack worked ok . dog was giving a lot of problems..even with weight belt on....did not know he needed his own scuba gear...i thought plastic bag was ok . ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
By far the best detector on the market is the Generic brand at Radio Shack!? Monty

Hey Monty, I thought we agreed to keep that a secret! Oh well, it's out now and there goes all the treasure.

Actually I do believe Minelabs are crap. I had one last summer and sold it to some poor sucker. Tomorrow I'm ordering my next crapper--a Tesoro. Then I'll order 3 or 4 more pieces of junk and I figure in about 2 or 3 years I'll be back to Minelab. And of course that will be a piece of junk so then I'll try another Tesoro (need I continue?).

By-the-way, I need new headphones. Anybody out there know of a really junkie brand?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zeb, you're typing too loud! You don't need a detector, you need a hearing aid! ;D Monty

Z

ZumbroKid

I'm down grading to one that cost $25 second hand from Goodwill. It has gotten too easy to make my finds. I've tried everything from night hunting with out a light so i can not see, to hunting the same place 3 years in a row. I still find keepers, what is a guy to do?

A

AK in KY

I have owned the DFX and the EX11. In my opinion the EX is the easiest to learn. (I'm still learning) The EX also is the best if your ground is highly mineralized. As far as service Minelab is the best by far. No comparison. HH

AK in KY

R

rvbvetter

I trained a dog to sniff out precious gems. But the dog proved to be defective.
He couldn't tell the difference between precious gems and family jewels. HH

R

rvbvetter

Best detector? Thats easy. Which ever one ZEBS looking at that week. ;D

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except there's not 27 true frequencies and more frequencies doesn't result in more depth. Minelab had to withdraw their adverts saying this in Europe as advertising standards would not allow misleading claims.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Except there's not 27 true frequencies and more frequencies doesn't result in more depth. Minelab had to withdraw their adverts saying this in Europe as advertising standards would not allow misleading claims.
U.K.Brian ….. Now i have always said that and most thought i did not know what i was talking about …

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer my Tesoro Tejon for relic and coins over my minelab... It is very sensitive on small gold with 5.75" widescan and the Quattro with 5" nugget coil isn't... It is inexpensive with great resale value... It is not for everyone, but should be considered given your relic, coin, occasional gold criteria...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread