Best detector on the market?

pp13bnos

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2005
Hey guys, I'm currently using a XLT and a MXT. I've been thinking about upgrading to something else, perhaps a DFX or a Minelab explorer II. Whatever it is, I would like something used for coin hunting, relic, and very rarely a little gold hunting. If money was no object what detector would you guys recomend?

One thing I realy like about whites, is that they are just a couple miles away, and the costomer service.

CJ

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SORRY, This is? Not a Question That Will Be answered Honestly.

? ? Actually It CAN'T Be answered Honestly.

? ALOT depends On How well you Learn What You use.

I'm A MINELAB MAN.

EXPLORER 2, Hands Down.

HOWEVER...

IF you need to have GOLD PROSPECTING CAPABILITIES.
I would Reccomend a? ?GP 3500, as the BEST.
? ? ? ?it Lists for just under $4,000.00

? ? ? ? ? ? HOWEVER I'm Shure someone who dosn't like Minelab,
OR is into another Brand, will Disagree

? ?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
A trained treasure hunting dog is the very best. Maybe not so very swift for individual coins but a killer for caches ;D

Seriously, the very best detector on the market today is the one that I happen to think is the best at the moment.

At this precise second it's any Tesoro model ;D

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
This is a loaded question!!!! Is there a best of anything :D Every name brand company makes the best detector for someone. I personally haven't found one that is perfect( if there is such a thing!!!) YET ;)
Good luck Happy holidays to all!!!! 8)
HH
Greg

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I a Minelab Explorer man myself, but like they said, everyone has a different preference. It's not always necessarily the machine, but how you work the machine that will produce the best results.

Different detectors are like different sports.... just because you can pitch a perfect fastball in baseball does not mean you can pitch one in softball. It's all about how you hone your craft (or your machine) that will produce the best results.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh that's easy - a Minelab Explorer II. 27 frequencies gives it the deepest detection on the market. You can read more about why under Metal Detector Reviews Minelab. It's a no brainer! :)

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I think everyone will tell you that the best detector happens to also be the brand they own.............seriously, it's a loaded question. Personally I feel that the best detector out there is the one that gets out and gets used. The more you use it, the better you understand what it's telling you. I have a White's DFX, and an older Garrett, and will soon get an ACE250.........why 3 machines? why not? I like all machines as long as I know what it is saying. I once tried a Lobo Super Track, had no clue what it was saying......didn't find as much as a pull tab after a couple hours. I understand the Super Track is an excellent machine.........as long as you know how to use it, which I didn't. No matter what you get, get out & use it, and it will be your best machine.

Just mt two cents worth,
Paul

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like many other posts before me, I have to say there is no best detector, and that is why I own so many. It depends a lot on what type hunting you do, where, and also your attitude. Not everyone wants to learn all the settings on the Explorer II or other $$$ high end detectors. It all boils down to what fun you want to have.

But if you really want to start the fire going, ask which detector is the deepest. ;D

Merry Christmas Guys and Girls,

Sandman

day dreamer

Aug 13, 2005
Florence S.C.
All the major detector manufactors have good machines. Which ever one u choose have patients to learn the machine.Patients is the key to learning.most coins are found from 1 to 4 inches in normal soil.At the beach and sandy areas it will be different.The 2 detecters u have are good machines.The MXT u have is a great all around machine.Now if you want a machine that will go deeper .I have a mine lab excalibur. that i use for both water and land.It goes fairly deep on coins.I found a dime at about 14 inches.It has 17 different frequencys.Im still learning how to use it.Just remeber what ever machine u get .the more u use it the better u will become with it.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
The one that find goodies and not junk.

The one that works best for you.

The one that works best for me is the Explorer2 with the Sunray X-1 probe.

Metal detecting is addictive so be careful. ;D

HH

JE

OP
OP
P

pp13bnos

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2005
Well, I've allways been a fan of whites to be honest. I've allways felt comfortable using the MXT and XLT, so I think I'm going to go with the DFX.

To the people who have owned the DFX and a XLT or MXT. Is there a noticable difference depth increase over the MXT/XLT without loosing stability? CJ

B

brz

I have had several types of detectors, and without question, my favorite is minelab. As with any detector, learning the machine is the most important part. It took me a long time to learn about the explorer to truly appreciate the technology but it was worth it! Good luck with what ever detector you end up with. and have fun(thats what its all about) Brian ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baloney, Baloney, Baloney, Bologna! Minelab is a piece of junk! You could take all of them and bundle them up with those White's trash finders and throw them in the ocean and no one woudl miss them! By far the best detector on the market is the Generic brand at Radio Shack! You can get one for $39.00 on sale! Take that detector and team it up with a gold sniffin' dog and you are sure to find $$$$$! Duct tape it up in a plastic bag and you have an underwater detector too! Not the dog , he has to breathe! Pull off the factory coil and tie the dog's leash to the empty pole and you have the world's largest coil! Teach the dog to growl and bite any other detectorists you come in contact with and you will have many ideal sites all to yourself! To pinpoint, teach the dog to hike his leg and .....well, you get the picture! Stupid answer? Not really, as this answer will be just as close to being right as any! Listen, read, go try some out and you will answer your own question. Monty

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Hehe!
Reading Monty's answer, it sounds like he has given it a lot of thought!
But you know what? If everyone took Monty's advice, and hunted with trained dogs, we would be posting about which breed of dog was "The Best"
Probably a Mine-Lab?
(Sorry, could not resist!)
Hugger

B

BOB in TX

I have often wondered why the manufacturers don't ask the hunter,What would be the idea detector and what features would you like on it? And then build one that has the features most wanted.

B

brz

littlehugger said:
Hehe!
Reading Monty's answer, it sounds like he has given it a lot of thought!
But you know what? If everyone took Monty's advice, and hunted with trained dogs, we would be posting about which breed of dog was "The Best"
Probably a Mine-Lab?
(Sorry, could not resist!)
Hugger
now that was good!!

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Hey Monty.... how about putting the coil under the dog and then getting a really long cord? ?A self finding detector! ?You just sit back and watch where he beeps! ? ;D

Having hunted Whites, Fishers, Garretts, and a Cobra.... and not having found a million dollar cache.... they all must suck, get an overpriced Minelab. ?After all, Jeff says they're the best! ?Until I can afford one of those overly high priced Minelabs, I'll just stick to my 2500. ? 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread