george washington masonic coin - help

R

river city

Just dug a George Washington Masonic Memorial coin. Front of coin has an image of George Washington standing. The lettering around the edge of the coin reads GEN.WASHINGTON AS MASTOR. Dated at the bottom 1788-89.
The back of the coin has an image of the Masonic Memorial with lettering around the coin reads GEORGE WASHINGTON MASONIC MEMORIAL. At the bottom of the coin reads Alexandria VA. DATED May 12, 1932
This coin came up on my id screen as a quarter. It appears to be silver but has a bronze luster. Does anyone know what this is? Any information would be greatly appricated. Sorry, no picture.
Thanks, Mark

Upvote 0

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
Mark,

George Washington and roughly 1/2 of the founding fathers were Masons and he was the first Grand Master in America.? There is a Masonic library and history center in Washington, DC where you could get specific information regarding your coin.? From time to time, Grand Lodges (each state has a Grand Lodge) mint coins to raise funds, and your coin could either be one of those (likely) or perhaps was minted as a memorial from his specific lodge (unlikely but possible).? Regardless, it's a good find, as not much Masonic material is lost of any kind, most is passed from generation to generation within families.

(flying the Kissimmee River -- looking for Fort Kissimmee)
Ditch.jpg

Matt Mattson
http://www.treasuresites.com/news.htm? (Treasure News)

OP
OP
R

river city

;D thanks matt and buckram for your replys.this was the first thing that i found in my back yard with my new whites idx pro.strong signal that came up as a quarter on the id screen.it was about 11" down.the coins in great shape! thanks again for your quick responces,mark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread