Too Much Info In Some Of the New Detectors?

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the new detectors have so many ways to analyze a target that I have to wonder whether its worth it to pay such a huge price for the detector. Its now easier and much quicker just to dig the damn iffy signal than it is to stand over it for untold minutes using the 500 different ways to study it. Just give me great depth at a reasonable price and let me do the digging.

Upvote 0

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Based on the detectors you're using, I see no reason for you to change. Analog machines rule!
Newt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't know which detector you're alluding to, when you talk about those that "analyze targets" etc... But I can tell you that a machine like the Explorer, for me, has indeed increased my goodie takes in certain situations, d/t it's excellent tone IDs, grid/graphs, etc....

For example, in a certain ploughed ag.field, where we've dug reales and buttons & such: A friend of mine had a non-ID machine, and I had the Explorer. Depth was not the issue, since this was a plowed field. Neither was "cherry picking" an issue either, since we were both in the dig-all (except iron) mindset. However, at the end of each hunt, even though our target counts would be about the same, I'd always end up with more buttons and coins. At first, he accused me of "cherry picking", since I had a tone-ID explorer. But I assured him I was "digging all". So neither of us could understand why I kept spanking him on better targets, while he ended up with the lion's share of can shrapnel, flittly little junk, etc.... Finally, after the 4th or 5th such spanking, we figured it out: In this field, 50 to 100 targets (both age indicators "woulda-coulda's" and modern can slaw, etc...) in a hunt was not unusual. Apparently what must've been happening, is that in a place where targets are prolific, my mind must've been subconsciously favoring the nicer "round" sounding targets, that a good tone ID machine can provide (verses a "beep or no beep" no frills machine). Mind you, I didn't pass anything on purpose (as long as it was conductive), but I guess I subconsciouly was passing things that sounded like chopped up whispy small can slaw, pencil eraser top type lousy signals, etc... You can bet this friend rushed out and bought an explorer right away ::)

That's just one example, and of course, wouldn't hold true for other type hunt sites. I can also imagine that junky old-town turf would be another place where the graphs and tones would help a person play the odds of what to chase (so that they can favor the coin-like deeper targets, and pass surface coins or shallow junk, etc..)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I basically agree. I have several TID machines and several "beep and dig" machines. The main reason I like the TID is for a bit more assurance and confidence when retrieving targets in areas I want to disturb as little as possible. For instance, I won't try to retrieve a zinc cent from a decent grassy area. Don't get me wrong, i do try to retrieve as cleanly as possible, but prefer to make a minimum number of disturbances in good sod. The machine's best guess on coin value and depth is plenty of information as far as I'm concerned. Dig and eyeball takes care of the rest.
HH
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions