Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings,

As I eagerly await my metal detector...

I'd like for you all to share some etiquette, digging tips... etc. that could help me out and at the same time, give me some insight on what to do and what not to do..

I know most of it is common sense like filling your holes, but I'm sure there's something I can learn from you all :)

Dont be shy!

Gio

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scrubber said:
littletwig said:
The guy that got me into tecting was a guy that went to all the big money hunts. He is so fast that I can't even keep up with him. He does really well at the seeded hunts. We live in the very same small town, 1000 people, and he has been hunting in and around it for 30 years. I tried keeping up with him and found nothing. I read the book "detecting previously hunted sites" and the emphysis was to go sloooooow. I then started hunting very methodically and slow in some of the same sites, parks and ball fields, that I thought he had cleaned out. It is unbeleivable how much he missed. I have been hunting his hunted out sites for 2 years now and still continue to do really well.

I haven't attended a money hunt but I have a theory about what you said. I have found when doing tests that freshly buried coins give stronger signals than old ones in hard-packed ground. If I've dug down to an object and then refilled the hole without taking it out, the signal seems stronger than it originally was. Perhaps that's why he did well in a seeded hunt going fast. Just a thought -- I may be wrong. :icon_scratch:

scrubber

In the seeded hunts I have been to nothing is burried deep, if you go slow you will not find many targets, every one else will have beat you to them already. I imagine it is different for seeded hunts that cover multiple acres..... I do see people hunting the beaches that look like they are speed walking, and they are swinging their coil in a 160 degree arc, I can follow behind them and find targets they missed with no problem..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread