Need advice--cold calls, permission to search

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hey,

So, I'm driving through the back country of my beautiful state, and there is an old homestead, weathered and decaying. "Wow," I think, "I'd sure like to hunt around that property, but I don't know who owns it, and I don't like the idea of a butt full of buckshot..." you know the rest.

My questions for you experienced operators out there: 1) How to get permission without ruffling feathers or ticking people off
2) How to keep what I find without having to turn it all over to the landowner OR how to come to a fair agreement about sharing what I find.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
One way to do it is look up the owner on you local property appraisers office.

Here's where you would look for Lane County Oregon:

http://www.rlid.org/laneat/prop_search.cfm

Once you find the owner send them a letter requesting permission (you can do a search on this site for some examples of letters).
I probably wouldn't offer anything unless asked and if asked try to settle for 50/50 of face value (1 Indian head for you and 1 memorial for him).
I probably wouldn't say I hope to find a cache of gold but you may want to let them know what you usually find (coins, square nails, etc).

Good Luck and HH

Baddog

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
You can do whatever works to find the land owner, but I usally ask in person. I dress nice (not for a job interview, but not in muddy camo, either), and let them know why I'm there, and I also try to ask about any history they might have knowledge of regarding the property. Any old homesites, old roads, etc.

I just have a better feeling just being up front about why I'm there, and answer honestly about what I expect to find. Most people don't have much appreciation for value of relics you may find, so won't want them anyway. Coins they may know a bit about, but again, they're not likely to believe there's anything out there, so aren't likely to want a share. If a land owner gets the suspicion you're being less than honest about waht you're looking for, your're likely to give them reason to not grant permission. And they might pass that feeling on to their neighbors, thus ruining your chances at permission there, too.

I'd say honesty is the best policy, and be gracious, whatever their response is.

Roger

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For some reason I keep getting turned down, It might have something to do with the backhoe being towed behind my van....... ;D But seriously, I have a hard time appoaching people and asking them if I can dig holes in their yard. :-\

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I perfer to Ask in person.

the BEST way I found to keep it on a friendly level is to wait till you see
the person outside Mowing grass, Washing the car, whatever.
I know this can be hard to do if you need to find someone on a particular day.
I personally ALWAYS have SEVERAL Backup sites near by, in case I get a No or don't find the person out.?
Think about this yourself, You just sat down to watch a little Teley,
Or Post on? TreasureNet. and there is a knock at the door. You get up walk over
ONLY to find out it's someone trying to "SELL THEMSELVES".
NOW Picture yourself out mowing lawn, and someone walks up and Stops you from mowing.
the first thing you hear is, "WOW You have a great place here, I'v been noticing it alot lately"
and then go from there , till you can turn the FRIENDLY conversation into,
your reason for being there. " I'm into Metal Detecting, And Was Wondering
If it would be Ok to..."
OR use a Neighbor who is outside. " HI , I was wondering if you know who ownes, that empty Stone house over there"?(That one will work, Even IF your Talking to the Owner, IF the place looks like it could belong to a neighbor) OR "I was looking on an old 19th. century map
of the area,? I see where there used to be a Church on the corner over there.Would you know
who ownes the property ?
" IF they do, Explain your Hobby, tell them about your favorite finds
and BRAG like a little boy who just came home to tell his mom he hit a Home Run.
? IF it's not their property, Find the Name of the Person who owns it, And IF you can,
The name of the person your talking to. THEN approach the neighbors house, & Knock
(Hope there not Logging in here at the time). When they answer, Say, "HI,
I was just talking to your Neighbor over there?
Mr.? _ _ _ _ _ _.
Or Preferably FIRST NAME
of Neighbor, so it sounds like you are on a first name bases with them.
and say "He told me to just come over & knock, I Hope you wern't Busy"

HOUSES or LAND with Real Estate Sign & NO IDEA WHO owns the Property.
Search the Real Estate Agents Company on the Net. 99% are on.
Find the Real Estate Persons name on their site, And their EMail Address.
Send an EMail stating EXACTLY what your intentions are, And ASK IF, They think the
owner will let you. OR ask them IF they could ask the Owner to Contact you IF their intrested.
Leave an EMail Address, Phone Number. THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME.
NOW, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER bring up the words "SPLIT" or? "CONTRACT"
Would you sign anything from a Stranger ? who just walked up to you, or contacted you
for the first time ? IF YES, I'll send you one to sign? ;)
IF they bring up the Subject, Then decide what to do, BUT I ALWAYS went on a "Gentlemans Agreement". I'll show them what I find. IF they want any of it, It's theirs, With a Request to
Stop back again, Or IF they know someone with a Good Place , I may find things.
BY THE WAY, If there is an Agreement that the Land owner may want something, &
You Find a Gold Coin, Or Ring, you want to Check out first, Slip it in your Boot, Walk to your
Vehicle for a Drink or Snack & leave it in the Vehicle TILL you check it out good.
? it may be a little Dishonest, But, IF it's going? to KILL you if you Don't get to keep it,
It's still better then, arguing with the guy & getting a Reputation. Personally, I Never had
anyone say they want anything yet.
I have gotten the "IF you find any gold we split", "Will you Split ?" and
and the "I want half of everything"
COMMENTS, However Even tho I always say "OF COURSE" & show them my finds,
and Ask, "Do you want any of it ?" the ONLY thing I got was, a "no you can have it" with a smile.

The EXCEPTION "When your Doing it for a COMMUNITY SERVICE" Restoration project.
Do it on a Gentlemens Agreement, They get anything Pertaining to the site,? And one of every
Duplicate Coin find, With the Option, of Looking over everything, JUST IN CASE THEY WANT
SOMETHING ELSE.
Always EXPRESS "Gentlemens Agreement" it shows Respect & Trust.
EVERYONE wants, & appreciates Respect & Trust

eric in ks

Oct 29, 2005
middle america
I usually try to catch people outside to ask permission also, but on the rare occasion, I have walked up front porches and asked. I try to do this on a weekend afternoon or late afternoon. I don't want to bug people at dinner or late evening. There is a vacant lot I just got permission to hunt. The owner posted a for sale sign on the lot, I copied the number, called him, and the next day I was retrieving targets. Retrieve sounds better than dig to land owners. On nice lawns, I carry a towel to put dirt on. When I approach someone, I tell them that I am a history buff and enjoy amateur archeology and that usually does it. I've only been turned down once all year and didn't even get around to hunting all the places I was given permission. Some people want half my finds and I've had one woman who took all my finds, but oh well. On occasion I'll stick an old IH or Merc from the flea market in my pocket to give them. That pretty much always makes them happy. Don't know if that's cheating or not, but it makes them happy. ;D Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas. HH, Eric

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eric in ks said:
On occasion I'll stick an old IH or Merc from the flea market? in my pocket to give them.? That pretty much always makes them happy.? Don't know if that's cheating or not, but it makes them happy.? ?;D? HH, Eric

A Friend & I have done this on occasion, Take a Few old coins.
Duplicate date Large Cent, Indian, Even a Mercury dime.
And at the End of the Day Show them & say "This is what I found Today, Do You want any ?"
So far always No's , However, It keeps them from Thinking , I may be Hiding things from them.

I FIGURE, It's only Cheating, IF I tell Friends, Magazines, & Forums the Lie

Once at a Site, I had Exclusive Rights to, With absolutely NO "Look At" Agreement.
I took a 1890's Morgan Dollar along. (This site was Producing Gold Rings Regularly, & as I said,
EXCLUSIVE Rights) Any way, I handed the Silver Dollar to him Saying, "I Didn't Find this,
But May I give you this as a Thank you, For Letting me keep comming back every day ?
The Guy was at least in his late 30's, But his Eyes Lit up like a Childs & he said he saw one of them
Once , Years ago. I LOST an Hour or 2 of Detecting that day, As he didn't shut up after.
He just kept telling me places, I would Probably Find things? :)

So it cost me an $8.00 to $10.00 Coin, to Secure info on other sites, & make me feel
more comfortable at Being on site, From Sun Up to Sun Down, Every day for a year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread