Best books for treasure hunters

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
What books do you have in your treasure library? My latest podcast is a report on a few books that every treasure hunter should own (or at least read).

Books that will help you find more coins faster, books that will give you new ideas on likely hunting places, and books that will tell you what you've found and what it's worth.

If you have favorites that I've missed, please leave a note in the Comments section here:

http://thetreasurecorner.com

(To hear the show, just click the pink button on that page.)

---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

Upvote 0

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Dan, Every treasure hunter needs to write his own book through experience. Where you hunt will be unique and you just need to get out there and hunt. Of course, have fun while doing so.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a lot of tips and tricks can be learned right on this site * ---use your library --the books are already paid for via your taxes ---ILL is a great thing -- save your cash for the rare and hard to find knowledge (books and maps) --I got lots of book ,maps and stuff --folks are always asking me stuff and for info and to try and ID their whats its finds

dwmedic

Oct 6, 2007
Oxford, ks
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Fisher 1266X
Dan,I always enjoy your podcasts. The book I like is The Urban Treasure Hunter by Michael Chaplan gives some good tips and not just for metal detecting, old bottles also. I have an aunt that used to work at Parkland college, she used to live in Mahomet now she live in Champaign you might know her. Look forward to your next podcast. Dwmedic

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many good books that don't have the word "treasure" in the title. For instance, you can go to a used book store and buy a good book on collectables and their prices that include good photos, for pennies on a dollar. They make ready reference for finds you get in flea markets / yard sales.

I have a reproduction copy of the old Sears catalog used around 1900. This book has drawings of everyday items that make good reference for ID'ing things you may find while detecting.

Having at least one book on survival in the wild as well as how-to book on travelling cross-country using a compass and topo map would be an excellent choice, too. A lot of folks have the latest pocket GPS equipment, but what if the batteries give out or you can't get a signal from the satelites, or you drop and break it. A person travelling in the outback should definitely have a good compass and KNOW HOW TO USE IT in conjunction with a topo map. If you don't know about magnetic declination, you'd better learn.

Books dealing with local and state histories are valuable; especially those written back in the 1800s and early 1900s. Why this old? Because the latest books don't cover the "good stuff". Too many so-called Historians skip over too much info and just write about the highpoints in history. The everyday things are ignored by the later books. The older books are more personal and have better detail.

There are many more examples, but you'll need to adapt the possibles to your own needs.

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
Check out Beach and Water Treasure Hunting with Metal Detectors its a 70 page downloadable, printable PDF booklet. The text is packed with information and hundreds of color images.

http://www.treasurehuntingexpo.com/

Attachments

• Metal Detecting Shadow.jpg
    Metal Detecting Shadow.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 431

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions