Lots of bees in our yard..GREAT!

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Had a nice crop of fall asters and today I found they were being worked by a bunch of Honey Bees. This is great here as we haven't seen Honey Bees for more than 3 years around here and the fruit trees and many other flowering plants haven't been getting pollenated. Some kind of a "colony collapse desease" I read. There are no known Bee hives in use anywhere around here so these may be wild. Kinda tricky getting a picture but here's some of the little critters.

Attachments

• 000_1943.jpg
    000_1943.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 400
Upvote 0

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let the honey bee flourish!

Good to see some signs of a colony close to you...

The collapse of the honeybee scares the crap out of me. If they go, we starve.

:) Nice pic!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is great that the Honey bees are back. Maybe it was a cycle that killed off many.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I work out doors all day long and have seen very few honey bees on clover all summer. This past spring I helped a woman get a hive started and they may not survive the winter as there are very few bees in her hive. They may have swarmed because she didn't put enough enough hive bodies on in time for the colony to expand or could be from ccd.

pitbullfan

Sep 18, 2009
Newton Grove, NC
Detector(s) used
First: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Now: Excal
Colony Collapse Disorder is a very frightening issue. What's even more frightening is i would estimate only about 20% of people even are aware theere's a problem with honey bees. Instead of the news talking about this, they're feeding us stories about Jessica Simpson's dog getting snatched by a coyote.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I read somewhere that we as a species are tied much closer to the existence of honey bees than most realize.

If the honey bee was driven to extinction somehow humanity would come to an end in 3-5 years due to food shortages.

Glad to see them around, I love eating! :hello2:

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
A friend of mine used to raise bees. He finally gave up, since we live in a farming area, all the pesticide spraying just wipes out the bees.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a radio show,I belive on NPR radio awhile back about bees dying off in great numbers and on that show they were blaming it on GMO corn that was grown in several midwest states between1998-2004.If you can remember some of this corn product actually made it to the food chain,Tacobell bought several million of these taco shells that were made from the GMO corn.They,TacoBell said after they found out about this ,that they destroyed the shells.It seems that when the bees land on the corn bloom the ingest some bad chemicals into their systems and take it back to the hive and spread it all around which inturn keeps going from hive to hive,much like AIDS,the common cold and the Flu.This info needs to bee shared with the public on shows like 60 minutes,20-20 or even NightLine.
P.S. sorry to here about Jessica's dog,LOL.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Produce Guy said:
There was a radio show,I belive on NPR radio awhile back about bees dying off in great numbers and on that show they were blaming it on GMO corn that was grown in several midwest states between1998-2004.If you can remember some of this corn product actually made it to the food chain,Tacobell bought several million of these taco shells that were made from the GMO corn.They,TacoBell said after they found out about this ,that they destroyed the shells.It seems that when the bees land on the corn bloom the ingest some bad chemicals into their systems and take it back to the hive and spread it all around which inturn keeps going from hive to hive,much like AIDS,the common cold and the Flu.This info needs to bee shared with the public on shows like 60 minutes,20-20 or even NightLine.
P.S. sorry to here about Jessica's dog,LOL.
Wow I would like to have that verified

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
The steady decline in honey bees is very much noticed here in the UK, alot of research is going on to try and find out the reasons why. The scientists think it is some sort of disease, but are not sure what. In fact we have had to import some bee colonies from other parts of Europe. I don't think people are aware of how much this will mean to our food supplies, no bees, no food, its very serious really.

OP
OP
silverswede

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
You Members are great coming on from so many parts of the countries with this info. This little group of bees went through a night of temps in the 20s Sunday night but were right back at the flowers this morning. Gotta love those little buggers.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen more honey bees this year than ever before. Just the other day i was in a local park that had lots of purple clover flowers and at least 2 bees per flower workin' 'em over good..........NGE

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in S. Korea there are many honey bees, and the farmers are more than aware of how important they are. I'll try to get a picture of one of the REALLY REALLY BIGUNs that I have seen. Would only take a couple of them, and they could pack away a cat or dog.
What is killing the bees here is the very bad killer wasps......they came in from Japan, and they are taking over. (They are called "killer wasps," not because they kill and destroy beehives, but because they kill people. Dangerous. I carry two cans of
spray with me, and if I see one of their hives, they get sprayed and eradicated. Problem is, there is no spray that I can apply to myself that keeps them off me. I have been stung by the wasps twice, once three times on my right shoulder, and the second time, once on the fleshly part between my thumb and forefinger. Neither was pretty......except me running away from the area.
That must have been a sight! Anyway, that is what is threatning bees here. And I have seen several t.v. documentaries on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions