NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been hunting for going on 50 years :icon_thumright:. I have gotten most all of the type coins, that people on here have on their wish lists. However, I do not have any colonials, except maybe one, A 1793 Flowing Hair, Wreath Reverse Cent that would put a baby's butt to shame ;D. It took me an hour or so to see the date, twisting, turning, finding the right sunlight angle, whew, then all of a sudden " Happy Dancing " was in order. I think that had to be the first happy dance in the history of metal detecting ;D. Heck, my friend thought I stepped on something :laughing9:. It was in a construction dirt pile on an island park in Detroit, Michigan Called Belle Isle, google it for more info on the history of once known " Hog Island". They were installing new sewage lines on the island, and when ya come across this type of situation, you would love to camp on the island. Not permitted, and the Natives would have yer head, and whatever else you used to own. It's a shame that we (as detectorists) are not allowed to hunt any crime ridden, trashed, under managed, dirty old parks in Detroit anymore. Because of one person at a "trashing the park" picnic get together (reunion) complained that someone was digging holes :icon_scratch:. These people that complained, were spinning the swings up over the top bars, throwing their trash on the ground (next to empty trash bins) and they supposedly are the best basketball players in the world? :help: The city has decided to enforce the rules they have had on the books since the 1800's, NO TRASHING OF THE CITY PARKS! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:.........Gimme a break! Anyway, back to the things I have found, Glass, aluminum, marbles, coins, toys, cracker jack stuff, monopoly stuff, all kinds of jewelry, and even 35 silver coin days, yep, those were the good old days. Most of the coins I found in the last 3 days came from foreclosed properties (with permission) :icon_thumleft:. The rest came from Detroit Parks that are supposed to be off limits, BUT the cops have much better things to do, chatting on the side of the road, playing Wii at the bars, trying to find people that bailed on them and the best is, some areas even the cops will not venture into, but we are safe there ::). So, I hope that you all find what is on your wishlists and more! When I see people complaining about not finding a Buffalo nickel in 20 years or so, I think about the four rolls I have stashed away, The V-nickel rolls, the 197 rolls of wheats, the silver war nickel rolls, and the many, many rolls of silver that have been sold to buy metal detecting goodies, and pay bills. I have been robbed once, stung by bees numerous times, stepped or kneeled on thorns, cut my fingers, never had poison ivy, fallen down hills, have been asked many silly questions by many curious people of all ages, and have replied with some silly answers (depending on if I wanted to be bothered at the time) I have had kids try to fool me by burying quarters in the grass that I have not hunted yet ( I saw them out the corner of my eye) then when I dig the coins up, I put them in my pouch and the kids say " Hey those are mine " Then I explain the "finders keepers" law I practice, Man you should see them scramble trying to find the rest of them :laughing9:. I have met some of the people on this site, would love to meet Sorekneesdayton some day, have met, Mac_232, Levisdad. Cool people with awesome appetites, and great places to eat :thumbsup:. Would also love to meet Buckleboy, PBK, da Shark Pit dude, Godisnum1, sorry if I left anyone out, actually I would love to meet everyone on here :headbang: But, I feel that I already have met most in here through the great writers, poets, photographers, funny people, women, guys, kids. This place is more home to me than my real home, sometimes. I am also approaching another milestone in my life on Nov. 11th. I'll be married 31 years, same woman, first marriage for both of us, both Christians :hello2:. My computer is in an unfinished basement (which I call my " Dungeon") I have a 4'X8' desktop that was an old 2 1/2 inch thick wooden fire door and I still can't seem to find things on it :laughing9: The walls are papered with 8X10 photos of all my color pics, I have no kids to pass things down to, so I do what I want with my stuff that I find, I have given silver dollars that I have found to nephews for CHRISTmas, Gold 2 1/2 peso's that I have won for gifts to friends and family. And now I may have to sell my Pez collection, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and antiques that I have collected through the years, just to keep my head above the water. My house is paid for, but the TAXES are killing me! I was forcibly retired in 2007 and have been fighting the State since then for disability. I have a ventral hernia, cysts on the tendons of my fingers on my right hand, spine twisted in two places and my knees are shot, I have no medical insurance (going on 3 years). No savings, (have used for bills) My wife has severe Crohn's Disease and has been on disability since 1990. But the best is yet to come! just ask Godisnum1.... He'll tell ya, if you want to listen..... The only time material things mean anything to me, is when you try to steal them from me whiile we are home, minding our own business, come kicking on my door and you will meet Mr. Remington. Well, I will close for now. But remember this; If you don't walk over it, you can't find it...........NGE OOPS! Forgot to mention, my milestone of 50 years will be Jan. 4th. 2010.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Great post! :icon_thumright: :coffee2:

Why wait to celebrate? January 4th's not that far away, so I'll just go ahead and say...

Big Congrats.gif

Attachments

• Big Congrats.gif
    Big Congrats.gif
    161.6 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks PBK, still trying to figure out your screen name.......here's one, "Possibly Best Known".........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread