Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an interesting experience yesterday. I had been eyeballing a possible detecting site for some time and decided to go check it out yesterday. It is at the entrance to a large county park that was once the gateway to what was called "Lost City". The park itself is atop a very steep hill and it is surrounded by limestone canyons and monoliths of protruding rock outcroppings. There are several cliffs over a hundred feet high where rock climbers often practice. And there are legendary tales of outlaws hiding out and stashing loot in that maze of cliffs and boulders. This has nothing to do with my outing, just some background. Anyway to continue..... The area I was interested in was a steep slope where everyone from the local area goes to ride their sleds downhill when it snows. As far as I know no one has detected it as it is to steep and hard to access. So I gathered my strength and climbed about halfway up and gave it a short try. I went one direction and recovered quite a bit of clad change, changed directions and worked back the other way to where it wasn't so steep. I also had my eye on a big walnut tree 'cause it had some shade and I was getting hot and tired. As I approached the walnut tree I suddenly found myself in the middle of a junk field, with multiple targets galore, more than I could ever dig. Heck if I had dug them all it would have looked like an excavation 'cause I could just dig a plug and keep on digging for several feet! I was finding a lot of old cans, keys, one 1920 wheat cent and parts to an old alarm clock. I finally reached the old walnut tree, a huge old tree that had probably seen a lot of history in it's youth. I sat down and leaned back against the bank and closed my eyes to rest a spell in the shade. I nearly dozed off when my memory kicked into high gear of when I was a child 4 or 5 years old. I wasn't in school yet so it would have had to been about that age. Dad use to take me squirrel hunting with him in this area and we would park in the front driveway of an old house. The walnut tree was in the front yard of the house and I remember kicking the fallen walnuts pretending they were balls, like a kids make up game. No doubt the junk pile had been the remains of the old house. The stuff or junque as I like to call it hadn't been touched since the house had been bull dozed some 60 years ago! In my mind I could clearly see the house and the tree and the out buildings, and could nearly make out the face of the old guy who let us hunt there. I also could remember my dad as a young man and that was kinda' sad as he is gone now and I miss him a lot. But now that my memory has been rekindled, I will go back later on next week and see what else I can turn up. Maybe outlaw treasure or a cache hidden away by the old man? Or most likely just more old junque. But that will be almost as satisfying as it rekindles days of my childhood long passed. A true tale by Monty.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story Monty. I know of several places from my childhood stomping grounds that I would like to go back and detect. Most of it is now National Park property and off limits to detecting. Good luck.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tale Monty. It brings back memories to most of us. Naturally some of us are young and haven't built up any memories yet. Back then we didn't have video games and played outside a lot using our imaginations. To be a good hunter now you need to put yourself back in time imagine how the kids of that time played and where. It is all part of the hobby for us to enjoy. I remembered a Hopalong Cassidy knife I lost from a tree house over sixty years ago.

I know, who the heck is Hopalong Cassidy? :laughing7: I heard it before............

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post Monty, I would to hunt where I grew up.

B

BIG61AL

I have no desire to visit my old homes They would bring back to many bad memories. Things I would like to forget.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a very good childhood. My parents stayed married not like many of my friends. I liked sports and played football and baseball in high school and Jr. High and was one of those people who could schmoose with the popular kids as well as everyone else. Seems I would fit in no matter where I went. There was no dope to speak of, just a little beer at times. Managed to stay out of trouble although I was as onery as most teens. I had my limits and wouldn't steal or hurt anyone thanks to family values taught at home. So. I had a very good childhood although many of my friends didn't. I still live in my hometown although I have moved away for periods of time. I am always happy to run into old acquaintances although several are gone now due to age and accidents. I had few enemies and as I look back, they are all dead! I hope it wasn't anything I did to curse them! :wink: Monty

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Or most likely just more old junque. But that will be almost as satisfying as it rekindles days of my childhood long passed. A true tale by Monty.

What is ones mans junk , Is another man's treasure.

Sounds like you hit the mother load to me. Nice story Jim

Mike. HHHH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions