Newbee / SoCal Desert Nugget hunting

DaveyT

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2009
I'm going to be looking for nuggets in the Southern California desert. What is the best metal detectors for this type of treasure hunting? I'm new to metal detecting but want to get serious about it and I don't want to waste my money buying the wrong detector. From what I've seen so far, it looks as if a PI detector would best suit my needs.

Any help would be appreciated.

DaveyT
Riverside, CA

Upvote 0

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the madness! What is your budget for the MD ? Ya also should have snake guards.

OP
OP
D

DaveyT

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2009
Extractor,

My budget is certainly not even close to $4500 like the prices I'm seeing for some devices.
I probably won't be able to spend more than $1200.

snake guards: are those some kind of steel mesh you wrap around your legs under your pants?

Thanks

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DaveyT said:
Extractor,

My budget is certainly not even close to $4500 like the prices I'm seeing for some devices.

snake guards: are those some kind of steel mesh you wrap around your legs under your pants?

Thanks
Dave, Ya should post this topic also in the prospesting forum here in Tnet.
Snake guards are usally worn on the outside of paints and if they have metal in them they tend to interfear with the metal detector http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,223605.0.html
With your budget your choices IMO are Gold bug I or II , Whites MXT or GMT OR GMZ.
Most PI detectors start around $1800. even used ones.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
extractor said:
DaveyT said:
Extractor,

Thanks
Dave, Ya should post this topic also in the prospesting forum here in Tnet.
Snake guards are usally worn on the outside of paints and if they have metal in them they tend to interfear with the metal detector http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,223605.0.html
With your budget your choices IMO are Gold bug I or II , Whites MXT or GMT OR GMZ.
Most PI detectors start around $1800. even used ones.
The Whites GMT, Gold Bugs, and Stinger are all fine detectors that will do a fine job. check on the prospecting pages. Neilo in AU likes the GMT I believe.

OP
OP
D

DaveyT

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2009
X-Terra 70 & MXT

There seems to be a consensus forming around two specific models for all around treasure hunting (coins, relics & nuggets). Both seem to be priced around $800

Could I get some input as to what you all think of these two models?

Minelab X-Terra 70
Whites MXT

Thank you,

DaveyT

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the madness! What is your budget for the MD ? Ya also should have snake guards.

Yeeks. I saw three today...Copperheads to be exact. .........May I suggest Minelabs, Eureka gold? I own one and used it heavily in Colorado with great success. I could never afford the "King" Of all Gold detectors. Minelabs Gpx4500 so I bought the Eureka. I love it! The coil is very "hot" and detect's the smallest nuggets... It's reasonable in price and I know a Dealer who will treat you fair...Hint,Hint. Lol Take care and good luck...

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your going to be serious about nugget shooting either the GB2 or the GMT are the way to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread