Water seems to be key for big finds .

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
I hunt all over and just about any where I can get permission. I seem to find all the old stuf is near water . Iwas looking back on my log and found my best days are near water. indies and fishingholes only place I find them. Jewelry is about the only thing Im successful at that and clad . Parks are where I find most rings .
Was curious as what otthers are more successful @ water areas or away from totlots . where is it for you

Upvote 0

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do my best for jewelry an clad in water or tot lots , tho I have found a nice small nugget or 2 out in the desert

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Private property seems to be the best for me. I try to find areas that have not been hunted before. I live in a fairly small town (pop. 10,000) and there are a few others that detect also so I have a lot of competition at the parks. There is a sand volleyball court with 3 nets a block and a half from my house and I have waited all summer to hit it again, I didn't get 10 targets in the whole thing. Someone beat me to it. My silver coins and gold jewelry have all came from private yards.

HH Charlie

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a sand volleyball court with 3 nets a block and a half from my house and I have waited all summer to hit it again, I didn't get 10 targets in the whole thing. Someone beat me to it.

It wasn't me Savant! lol

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
4-H said:
There is a sand volleyball court with 3 nets a block and a half from my house and I have waited all summer to hit it again, I didn't get 10 targets in the whole thing. Someone beat me to it.

It wasn't me Savant! lol

LOL, I'm probably the newest detectorist in town, these old timers are probably sittin' around griping about me hitting THIER spots.

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:

It wasn't me Savant! lol

I've never found anything in a volleyball court, and that has surprised me. I thought they'd be good. :icon_scratch:

scrubber

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only found one piece of jewerly in a volleyball court my best finds comes for the water.....Matt

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Being surrounded by water... what can I say.

I think 4-H hit it on the head. You gotta work the area you're at to the best of your ability, water or dry ground, old or new. Just have fun.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
cool water makes fingers shrink in size and lubes em up as well -- prime reasons for loss near water -- in the old days folks did not have city water piped in -- so they had to carry water to the house --so most lived near water , since it was the only sensible thing to do. ( digging a well was a pain)-- where you lived and spent most of your time is a more likely place to lose stuff --based on overall % of time spent there your more like to lose stuff there.

pitbullfan

Sep 18, 2009
Newton Grove, NC
Detector(s) used
First: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Now: Excal
I live 5 minutes from the beach. and have done fairly well in clad at the beach. I got a VLF so I haven't done well in the wet stuff yet. But I got a sea hunter on the way :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: So I think I'll start doing even better at the beach.

But I've also done really well at tot lots and ball fields. But what do I know (been doing this for 20 days) :laughing7:

HH
-Jason

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ringman said:
Being surrounded by water... what can I say.

I think 4-H hit it on the head. You gotta work the area you're at to the best of your ability, water or dry ground, old or new. Just have fun.
Yep, I'm telling you, people look into this hobby way too technical...It's simple, atitute and effort...And a little "tweaking" of the controls ;D

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Very early in my detecting hobby I read in a Garrett coin hunting book. Think POCKETS not people. People have carried their change in their pockets since pants were invented and where they went some was lost. A nudist volley ball court would be a real bummer. Swim areas are kinda spotty for me as once people are in the water theres usually no pockets, however they forget their jewelry. Above the high water mark where people changed in to swimwear, laid on the grass, pitched a tent, and whatever else people do down by the lake or river, there's always good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread