How do you clean encrusted coins?

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
Upvote 0

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi Just send them to me .. I all so can not read the years on a coin that has been in the water or the sand. I Just keep them, I may but them in mt Tumber and see. it may work. Coin finder ;D ;D ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try soaking in Olive oil this will take some time to get it off may have to soak for a week just take it out now and then and rub it and look to see how it is doing,. If you have a tumbler put in in for short periods of time and try that. Just have to work with it and see how it goes....Matt

OP
OP
D

Deese

Oct 24, 2008
Mebane,NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,Vallon Gizmo,Deeptech Vista Smart,Nexus Coronado,AKA Sorex,Quest X10
The mystery coin turned out to be a v nickel. 189? still cant make out the 4th digit. I cleaned it by soaking in vinegar,took about a day and a half.Still has some staining,but you can make out most of the detail.I'm happy about this weekend its the first coins to come out of this site,only junk and relics until now.I know where to focus now.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Soft bristle tooth brush,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread