Erratic readings

7.62 NATO

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
I'm a newbie to this. Here's a link to my first post here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,26045.0.html

Well, I put new batteries in a White's 6000 di pro that I recently bought used, and I get some very choppy and erratic
blips from the speaker.

I tested it over the floor in my garage first. It beeped quite regularly, so I'm thinking that it may be picking up on some
rebar in the concrete used for reinforcement.

Next, I went out in the front yard over an area that I know has no metal and tossed out a brass garden hose sprayer and
one of the old C batteries that I took out of the detector.

I got a strong blip over the sprayer, but the hum just went silent over the battery. Is this normal?

Also, it doesn't have a normal round coil on it, it has what is called a "Big Foot". I really don't like it, because it seems difficult
for me to pinpoint my "find". Should I ditch the Big Foot and get a conventional round coil since I'm a beginner?

Should I send it to a shop to get "tuned" since I bought it used? I have no information on it's history, other than it was owned
and used regularly by an older gentleman who used it on the beach. With my luck, it probably spent some time under water.?
::)

Thanks for any help.

dscf00184go.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP

7.62 NATO

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Since the site meltdown from last week caused all the replies to be lost, I wanted to thank everyone for the time and effort they put into their respective responses to my questions. :)

Sandman, in regards to your reply, no. I was not pulling the trigger to help me pinpoint my finds. I used your advice, and voila! I was able to more easily pinpoint the planted coins right from the tip of the head. Thanks.

Well, I'm heading out this morning to do some real quick detecting at a site I've been eyeballing for a while.

Thanks everyone.

PAdigs

Nov 22, 2005
S.E. PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all due respect to the Sandman, IMHO I would still get a coil and have the option to use either...just a thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread