This is what happens when you dont stop and think

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
This is what happens when you don't stop and think

I lost the nut and bolt that hold the coil in place on my spare md. My good md just got shipped out this morning for repairs. So I went to the local hardware store and bought some new ones. I wasn't sure what diameter I needed because I didn't measure the hole before I left. Since I didn't know what size I needed I bought 3 different nut and bolt combinations. I went home and as I was putting the bolt into the hole I realized that its not gonna work because the nut and bolt are metal. DUH ::) So back to the store I go. They didn't have any plastic ones. While I was there I locked my keys in the truck. I called the old lady and she brought me my spare key. When I got back home I happened to glance in a case on the wall where I put all my expensive watches to display them and to keep them safe. There was the nut and bolt sitting in the case right where I put it so I wouldn't lose it. I feel so dumb right now. :-[

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: This is what happens when you don't stop and think

SteveDodds said:
I lost the nut and bolt that hold the coil in place on my spare md. My good md just got shipped out this morning for repairs. So I went to the local hardware store and bought some new ones. I wasn't sure what diameter I needed because I didn't measure the hole before I left. Since I didn't know what size I needed I bought 3 different nut and bolt combinations. I went home and as I was putting the bolt into the hole I realized that its not gonna work because the nut and bolt are metal. DUH ::)

Will too work..
I've had a metal bolt on my DFX for over a year, because the nylon ones the threads strip and will
not hold the coil tight.
Also some of my earlier Tesoros came with a metal screw / bolt from the factory I think.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

since most detectors are motion discrim, the motionless (relative to the coil) metal bolt should not make too huge a difference, although it might distort the field. The older Whites used metal bolts I am pretty sure.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That happens to me now and then, My wife tells me it is old age. Old I tell her I am only 53 tghat is not old....Matt

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good

Ya ever wonder about the hearafter?

Every day I walk from the living room to the kitchen.
I open the fridge and wonder......... what am I hereafter?

B

BIG61AL

Lets brain storm this a little as we may all find ourselves with a missing or lost coil bolt.

1- pen or pencil [bust off eraser that has metal] through the hole with duct tape to keep the coil in a good position.

2- wire tie through hole and with duct tape

3- in the field fix - twig shaved down to fit hole, string over and around the ends that stick out. Shoe laces can be used as string.

4- I suppose a coat hanger will work as long as your unit is motion detector. Pretty sure the all metal mode with this set up may be very difficult if not impossible to use.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

Y'all forgot about those nylon bolts that every hardware store has for screwing the toilet seat down to the bowl.................. (1/4" x about 2" if I remember right)

Diggem'

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,

Why wait til you need one?????
I saw them in Lowes and picked up a set for each machine and threw them in the glove box so they are there when I might need one.

Joe

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008

The metal bolts will cause less field interfearance if you use stainless steel .As for the rest of your day...I understand-There is nothing I can do to help ,But I understand !!! Jim

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

LOL Been there done that...Here's a tip.....Home Depot carries teflon screws and bolts...Stock up...They work great....As a dealer, I should be telling you to buy them from the factory but These work just as well HHHH

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
LOL Been there done that...Here's a tip.....Home Depot carries Teflon screws and bolts...Stock up...They work great....As a dealer, I should be telling you to buy them from the factory but, I'm a lousy salesman and actually like to help others out. lol HHHH

I have tried several varieties of these Teflon Bolts and can never get them to tighten
down enough to hold the coil head steady.
if I tighten them down too much the threads strip and slip..
I only use metal ones now.
I just can't deal with the hassle...

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good

I have an old Whites 5900 Di and it has some rubber washers between the prongs on the coil and the rod with the hole in it. You might try cutting some rubber washers from an old inner tube (remember innertubes?) and put them between the rod and the coil connector. When you tighten down the screw, the rubber washer will provide friction between the rod and the coil to help prevent it from swiveling.

If an innertube is too thick you might try some old rubber gloves. The kind that your mom used to use when cleaning the toilet. Or, if this is still too thick try surgical rubber gloves for your material.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glenns5900 said:
Ya ever wonder about the hearafter?

Every day I walk from the living room to the kitchen.
I open the fridge and wonder......... what am I hereafter?

lol :icon_thumright:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Glenns5900 said:
I have an old Whites 5900 Di and it has some rubber washers between the prongs on the coil and the rod with the hole in it. You might try cutting some rubber washers from an old inner tube (remember innertubes?) and put them between the rod and the coil connector. When you tighten down the screw, the rubber washer will provide friction between the rod and the coil to help prevent it from swiveling.

If an innertube is too thick you might try some old rubber gloves. The kind that your mom used to use when cleaning the toilet. Or, if this is still too thick try surgical rubber gloves for your material.
Yes

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer

I bought a Garrett Deepseeker new and they came with a brass bolt and wing nut. I tried a plastic bolt and it made no difference.
Not that I could notice anyway.
I've never broken a plastic one yet..

The Cat

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I cleaned out my shed one day, put away a brand new battery operated screw driver. That was over 25 years ago, and I'm still wondering where it is. LOL
Some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If your avatar is you, you're getting an early start. Don't worry it will only get worse as you get older. One day you will forget what you went to the hardware store for unless you take a note that you will undoubtably lose on your way to the hardware store. Been there doing that! Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, I'm not Monty Burn's age, but I hope I get there eventually. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread