Coin burying tool

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anyone know of a tool that can be used to bury coins at a specific depth for club hunts? Our club is talking about having a deep coin competition hunt but we need to find a way to bury all the targets at a specific depth and make sure they are laying flat. I know people have made these before but I would like to get some pictures and instructions on how it works so I can possibly buy one or have one made.

Thanks!

Don

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OutBack Duo said:
does anyone know of a tool that can be used to bury coins at a specific depth for club hunts? Our club is talking about having a deep coin competition hunt but we need to find a way to bury all the targets at a specific depth and make sure they are laying flat. I know people have made these before but I would like to get some pictures and instructions on how it works so I can possibly buy one or have one made.

Thanks!

Don

Not sure. you might try the "Bulb planters" that are out there, or if the ground it soft you might get
some iron soup cans and push them in with your feet.... ?
Or you might be stuck with a handheld digger... digging by hand to a certain depth... flattening the bottom of the hole out.. and placing the coins...

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My club has their seeded hunts in sand, easy to bury, hide and dig. We have had good luck in a harvested cornfield and a grassy area just mowed (grass should be at least 4 to 5" to help hide targets in the roots). You might try a long knife blade at about 20 degrees to the ground. Slide in the targets, holes would hide themselves. We normally don,t bury targets just cover them with a little soil to get them out of eyesite. Anything that makes a hole will be hard to hide.

Ed D.

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are looking at burying these targets a month prior (our hunt field is on private property) and they need to be buried at 6" and flat. This is not going to be for our normal hunt this is for an additional hunt. we will bury quarters and dimes (silver only) and the winner will be determined by points (3points for a quarter and 5 points for a dime). This is to give those of us who pride ourselves as avid deep coin hunters to compete against one another. We will collect $10 or $15 per entry and then award cash prizes base on number of points.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a Long piece of Plastic waterPipe

With a Point cut at the Bottom should work.

Just shove the pointed end in & Pry Slightly
Slide the coin down & step the grass
Back in place.

a little Practice should make it easy

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pointed aluminum pipe with a slot cut in it do drop the coin in is what I have seen used. As posted, push in to depth wanted, drop coin in and pat down area with foot. Most targets are only planted about an inch or so. They do have one deep hunt but I have never noticed how they put the coin in. Monty

olegoat

Oct 18, 2007
southeast tn
Detector(s) used
fisher 1220x,gc-1023,tesoro tejon , fisher f-2, compass yukon 77b, tesoro bandito 11 umax
get a piece of conduit, mark it at depth needed, drive into ground, wiggle, remove and most of the time the dirt will stay inside the pipe, check to see, drop coin in and use flashlight to make sure coin is flat, cover with dirt in the pipe, if it is at least a month before the dig it should be healed by then,,,lol
i did this to get a coin at 6 inches, it will work, may not be as fast as you want but it work

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
OutBack Duo said:
We are looking at burying these targets a month prior (our hunt field is on private property) and they need to be buried at 6" and flat. This is not going to be for our normal hunt this is for an additional hunt. we will bury quarters and dimes (silver only) and the winner will be determined by points (3points for a quarter and 5 points for a dime). This is to give those of us who pride ourselves as avid deep coin hunters to compete against one another. We will collect $10 or $15 per entry and then award cash prizes base on number of points.
good for you... its nice to see someone organizing a seeded hunt for deeper targets...since seeded hunts are almost always exclusively about speed hunting...i hold my own but aint greased lightning. i feela deeper target hunt is more a true measure of a detectorists abilities.

I DUNNO MAYBE THIS ADDITIONAL WORK INVOLVED IN PLANTING IS THE REASON MORE LIKE THIS ARENT HELD.

PROBABLY U NEED TO BE prepared also for a resto period.

when competition hunting they say, "now be sure and fill ur holes"

and everyone agrees. only in the mad scramble for the prizes

MANY CONVIENENTLY FORGET TO DO IT. GRRRRRR

Tenn-Coinhunter

Jun 29, 2009
East Tennessee Mountains
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites V3i, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum, (2)Minelab Excalibur 1000, Garrett pro pointer, Sun Ray DFX in line probe.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is an old old thread but I just wanted to let folks know if there might happen to be someone interested in these coin planters. I custom make and sell them. Our club uses them and so does our sister club here in Knoxville, Tn. You can bury coins deep on edge or flat. All it takes is a little practice. My buddy can plant 1000 dimes by himself in 30 minutes using one. I am a lot slower. But when you are seeding a hunt field with two or three thousand coins it saves your back so y6ou can compete in the hunt also. Diggers are made from steel and are about 60" long. They are available in two different sizes to plant quarters and coins, or nickles and dimes. Prices vary depending upon steel price plus buyer pays for shipping. Planter end that has been welded and sharpened will be primered to prevent rust. Purchaser is responsible for painting the planters with their choice of color or we will paint the for $5 extra per unit. I can even produce one that can be used for halves and dollars but they are extremely heavy and personally unless you are the Hulk's baby brother you don't want one! Please PM me or email me for a quote.

stargift

Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is an old old thread but I just wanted to let folks know if there might happen to be someone interested in these coin planters. I custom make and sell them. Our club uses them and so does our sister club here in Knoxville, Tn. You can bury coins deep on edge or flat. All it takes is a little practice. My buddy can plant 1000 dimes by himself in 30 minutes using one. I am a lot slower. But when you are seeding a hunt field with two or three thousand coins it saves your back so y6ou can compete in the hunt also. Diggers are made from steel and are about 60" long. They are available in two different sizes to plant quarters and coins, or nickles and dimes. Prices vary depending upon steel price plus buyer pays for shipping. Planter end that has been welded and sharpened will be primered to prevent rust. Purchaser is responsible for painting the planters with their choice of color or we will paint the for $5 extra per unit. I can even produce one that can be used for halves and dollars but they are extremely heavy and personally unless you are the Hulk's baby brother you don't want one! Please PM me or email me for a quote.
We want to have a seeded hunt. Do you still sell the tool? I need one for pennies nickles and dimes.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machete.... drive into ground then wiggle back and forth ... not side to side... pull out and drop in coin or other items.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machete.... drive into ground then wiggle back and forth ... not side to side... pull out and drop in coin or other items.
You're gonna have the cops called on you for carrying a machete around , rotting away in jail, no longer being about to post on here.

Reactions: ARC

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're gonna have the cops called on you for carrying a machete around , rotting away in jail, no longer being about to post on here.
actually if you can prove it is for work or something you are doing that is legal. You can carry one on your hip anywhere, even here in ny where they hate freedom and personal responsibility(NYC area would give you more crap but even there this applies). Most states you wouldn't even need to prove what you are using it for, and the proof is only needed if you get stopped for something anyways.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks!

Don
All good comments!
I’ve had the privilege to plant several hunts. Planted flat they are easier to find, granted, but a sliver coin stuck in the ground vertically, is a challenge to find, so do some too!
Walking on a surface of dirt, so the planter leaves tracks, so the hunter needs to track the —— outta the place , to confuse matters…!
Shovel or hand diggers work well.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pound a metal rod into the ground with the depth you want target marked on rod.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions