gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the result of two trips, seven hours of detecting, in the best spot I have found since the mid 90's. I always knew about this carnival ground that was around for a few years in the early fifties. I tried the field a few times and only found a few wheats, nothing more. The grounds are in a large overgrown field 2 minutes walk from my house! I finally got some good info on the exact location of the grounds. Using M6, I headed off with renewed hope. Settings multi-tone, zero scrim, max sense. Dig anything deep and non-ferrous. First coin found was a quarter after 10 seconds after turning on the machine. Deepest find was a merc at 8" of soil (measured) plus 2" or 3" of grass. Total finds for the last two trips are shown including 43 wheats. The roots and sod are so thick, I modified my Predator Mod#31 Raptor (8" blade) by cutting off the factory handle and welding on a 7/8" stainless tube at a better angle of attack, under the blade. Added tough Hunt-Wilde grip. A good sharpening and it slides thru the tough stuff like butter. I found one dime and a few wheats dated in the twenties. The hot-spot is about one acre and its tough to swing thru all the brush and grass, so this spot should cough up a few more. Best of luck to all, gleaner1..

Attachments

• 1014 023.jpg
    1014 023.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 861
  • 1014 024.jpg
    1014 024.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 875
  • 1014 025.jpg
    1014 025.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 855
  • 1014 002.jpg
    1014 002.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 849
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Early fifties carnival ground

nice play-by-play. Good pix. Good research. congratz on the silver :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks Tom, I'll post more pics if I can conjure up some more silver. Gotta be a Franklin or Walker in there somewhere.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey that is great. Congrats on some nice finds there. Keep hitting that spot. More there I bet.

Burdie

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Always good to see Silver Quarters come out...
If you got that many, there will be other big surprises I am sure.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

looks like you got a great hot spots there. Keep on hitting it and work it different ways and you are sure to find a lot more....Matt

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is great haul of silver, by today's standards. You have a great spot there. I bet you'll find some other goodies there too. Congratulations on finding a good spot within walking distance!

HH
Rusted

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

I'll go back but its gettin' unusually cold around here, mid-20's tonight here in upstate NY. I like to night hunt, I get into a zone of concentration easier, no temptation of better looking grounds to distract the hunt.

When it warms up a bit I'll give it a another good go. I have been working the whole area quickly, but now I will slow down. The grass clumps, brush and roots make for a killer workout and my back is punishing me. The M6 I'm using has the stock 10" which is hard to work thru the brush but it has proven its ability to detect the deep ones. Acid-rain corroded cents at 7"+ of soil and inches of air (grass) give a high pitch. I can detect the small difference in response between deep silver and deep corroded wheat cents. After I'm done with the M6 I'll bring in my trusty old garret with the 7" coil to poke around better, not to mention its a devastating thing on coins down to at least 6" in clean areas. My goal is another 10 silver out of this place before the ground freezes. Regards, gleaner1

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Ray, I wouldn't use this tool on Mrs. Jones' lawn, that's for sure! It's my relic digger, modified for better action, the factory handle just did not feel right. It can easily cut and pop a nice conical plug 8" deep with four quick cuts. Check out Predators web site.

dick99344

Apr 30, 2009
Othello, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Pro PI, Whites M6

gleaner1 said:
This is the result of two trips, seven hours of detecting, in the best spot I have found since the mid 90's. I always knew about this carnival ground that was around for a few years in the early fifties. I tried the field a few times and only found a few wheats, nothing more. The grounds are in a large overgrown field 2 minutes walk from my house! I finally got some good info on the exact location of the grounds. Using M6, I headed off with renewed hope. Settings multi-tone, zero scrim, max sense. Dig anything deep and non-ferrous. First coin found was a quarter after 10 seconds after turning on the machine. Deepest find was a merc at 8" of soil (measured) plus 2" or 3" of grass. Total finds for the last two trips are shown including 43 wheats. The roots and sod are so thick, I modified my Predator Mod#31 Raptor (8" blade) by cutting off the factory handle and welding on a 7/8" stainless tube at a better angle of attack, under the blade. Added tough Hunt-Wilde grip. A good sharpening and it slides thru the tough stuff like butter. I found one dime and a few wheats dated in the twenties. The hot-spot is about one acre and its tough to swing thru all the brush and grass, so this spot should cough up a few more. Best of luck to all, gleaner1..

Here a month or so ago, I had a chance to hunt a city park in the town where I was born and grew up. I was born there 56 years ago.
Found a gold ring within 10 minutes. There were always carnivals there during the Down River Days celebration every July. They also had Hydroplane races. The park has changed a great deal over the years. The grounds were very trashy. I was using an M6 with the stock 950 coil. I have since started using the Eclipse 5.3 DD shooter. Will be going back with it this spring to go over that park with greater care. I will also take my surf pro PI to hunt the swimming area there too.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

goldeagle, a couple are AU. The 51 quarter is crisp too. I'm going back soon.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Early fifties carnival ground...UPDATE....THIRD HUNT

I spent 2.5 cold hours in the carnival ground tonight. The temp is in the mid 20's here. Too cold to detect, but I could not resist and I found 2 more silver, another war nickel, a buff, and 13 more wheats. The merc is 1927 S, worn pitifully. Total finds for 10 hours at this site: 4 silver wash quarters, 2 silver roos dimes, 6 merc dimes, 2 war nickels, 56 wheats, a broken 14K ring, a buff nick and a 50's nick.

Attachments

• 1018 001.jpg
    1018 001.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 616
  • 1018.jpg
    1018.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 624
  • 1018 003.jpg
    1018 003.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 632
  • 1018 004.jpg
    1018 004.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 620

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Early fifties carnival ground Updated Third Hunt

Very nice! It's a lot of work to make finds like these nowadays.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Fouth hunt 50's carnival ground...

These recovered after 3 hour-hunt in my untouched carnival ground, 3 more silver, 3 nicks, 7 wheats. Total silver from this site is 15 pieces. I still think I can reach my goal of 20 silver from this site before freeze, maybe more. I am averaging a bit over one silver per hour.

Attachments

• 1020 002.jpg
    1020 002.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 486
  • 1020 001.jpg
    1020 001.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 512
  • 1020 005.jpg
    1020 005.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 484
  • 1020 009.jpg
    1020 009.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 474
OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Update Fifth hunt...Early fifties carnival ground

Fifth hunt, two hours, I found two more silver, total 17 at this spot. Also 11 more wheats, oldest 1919. Also found two clad dimes and a Lincoln cent. I have been expanding my search area, finding little hot spots hear and there. I am concentrating on the areas with lots of iron signals and that's where the coins are. The areas that I am finding coins is ever expanding and it seems I have not yet found the limits of the grounds. I will hold off any more updates until I reach my goal of 20 silver, then I will post again. Regards, gleaner1.

Attachments

• 1020 002.jpg
    1020 002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 1020 003.jpg
    1020 003.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 444
  • 1020 004.jpg
    1020 004.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 442
  • 1020 005.jpg
    1020 005.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 451

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Update Fifth hunt...Early fifties carnival ground 17 silver so far

I think this is great, but I have to believe this is not "Untouched" by any previous machines.
30 - 40 coins from a place of 10 - 20 acres in size does not seem like a lot.
(Not saying its isn't great, because it is )
But I've hit a few Churches in the past that I believe were untouched, and a few houses as well,
and the actual numbers of targets can be "Astounding"
Literally every swing is a coin hit, or some type of ferrous target, some modern some older and deep.
For carnival grounds I would suspect the numbers to be more in the 100's of silver coins
and 1000's of wheat pennies and targets so close together as to not allow you to walk
almost at all...

This of course is a fantasy of all treasure hunters right ?
I knew a guy in Columbia SC who told me about a park there, that years ago they literally dug
1000's of silver dimes out of ..... I could not find more than bottle tops... but he said that in the early years there had been a small train in the park and rides were .10 cents... lots and lots of dimes

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Update Fifth hunt...Early fifties carnival ground 17 silver so far

TORRERO, according to information received from a couple of older gents, this grounds was used for only 3 or 4 years in the early fifties, so it would not be loaded with coins like the longer-lived parks and carnival grounds. I have been lucky enough to hear about it and find it. The area is 2 acres, measured on google maps. I have only touched about a third of it. Perhaps others have tried it, but if they did, they weren't interested enough to really work it. If the field was mowed down, my finds would easily triple. This spot should keep me busy for a long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread