Help buying a medal detector

toolshark007

Oct 15, 2009
Rcihmond
I am a new. I am very interested in getting started in VA doing some detecting, but i have no idea what type of detector I should purchase. I have done some research but it seems that there are lots of options. Any suggestions? I am going to purchase one for my dad as well. He lives in TX if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice.

Upvote 0

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Kellyco metal detectors seems to be the best and cheapest place to buy from. I bought my Fisher from them and will never go anywhere else ever again.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com

As for what model to recommend we are gonna need some more parameters. Parameters such as how much do you wanna spend, what are you gonna mainly look for, etc. So tell us some more about what you are looking for in a detector.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
You might try going to the Virginia area of the Forum and talking to the folks who hunt in Virginia for some tips.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,187.0.html

Same for the Texas area. The people who live and hunt those areas on a regular basis could give you the best information. You could also read their posts and see if they have their equipment listed over their avatar. That would give you some idea but you will find a variety of detectors listed.

If there is a local metal detector dealer in your area you might want to pay him a visit and find out what is the detector of choice for that area.

Welcome to a great hobby.

Ray S

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Ray said, check with a local dealer to see and handle the detectors he has. This is the best way to find one that suits you and what you want to spend. Don't bother wasting your time looking at a dealers detectors and then ordering from a mail order place thinking you'll get a better price. They all must sell at nearly the same price. Most mail order places don't charge you for shipping, which Kellyco does. Tesoro makes some of the best detectors out there that don't cost an arm & a leg, and also have a lifetime warranty. Study them major brands well before the purchase...........but if your like most of us you'll soon be buying another one just because they are fun to use.
Buying from a dealer means you can carry it home and not trust UPS to toss the box around or leave it at a different address. Trying to get a claim settled from UPS means you gotta take them to court in most cases. I've had to do this more than once.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would help if you told us what type of hunting your wanting to do, land or water, if water, dry sand, wet sand, or in the water, if in the water, fresh or salt, on land will it be coin or relic?

Also consider one used from a member, you will get one for a good price, and if you buy a mid to high end one used, it will hold its value for a long time, the deprecation was absorbed by the original buyer.

I just bought a used excal 1000 off of one of the boards for $475 shipped to my door, and it came with battery pack, 2 AA battery packs, ac charger and car charger, it will cost me about $25 to make the extended shaft for it making it $500.

I could turn around and sell it for $700 and get it, but I want as I plan on putting a WOT coil on it and use it myself. I am willing to bet that I can sell it 2 years from now and still get what I paid for it back.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
What part of Va do you live in? Some of the ground here is terrible and some cheaper detectors won't work in it at all. Sandman is right about the Tesoro's they are good machines and reasonably priced and easy to use. Like someone else mentioned it is. I would visit some local dealers and see what they have to offer. Today's detectors can be complicated and if you buy from a local dealer they will be more willing to help you with any problems you have. I personally like a Whites for the bad ground in Va but there are other good machines out there. TX would be a different matter as far as the soil and I don't have a bit of experience down there. Good luck I hope you find a good machine at a good price.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer to this is simple ::) you buy the Best your budget allows :hello:

SS

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any authorized dealer can match K-co or better their price. K-co is a good start but, Your best bet is to figure out what company you want to go with. Then see the local dealer for the machine. Most always,your local dealer will be glad to match or better the price to get your business. Plus, any good dealer will take you out to help you get started. As guys from T-net will tell you, I take them out, to one of my spots and help them get started. It's kind of like buying insurance from the "gecko"or a personal agent. If a problem arises your personal agent is more apt to be there for you versus the "lizard" you have to call and go through electronic answering services. I chose to sell certain detectors (Minelab, Tesoro and Detectorpro) Because they all have donated and are concerned about educating kids about this great hobby. I have been turned down by the "White guys" because, quote "we don't do that and are not concerned about it". UN quote. so, Most of them detect metal just fine but, if your concerned about the company you represent do some research and then pick out a machine. HHHH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread