Wireless/bluetooth headphones

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
I saw a topic in here somewhere re wireless headphones. I can't find it now. Can someone point it out. There was a photo of a small box pluuged in to a Headphone socket.
I live in Oz and have phoned around Dick Smith, Tandy etc but no-one has any.
If I have to order them from the USA I want to get the right thing, not some crap.
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Rando
I will have a sticky at them.

1.25pm Tuesday
20 Oct.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Wildcat said:
I saw a topic in here somewhere re wireless headphones. I can't find it now. Can someone point it out. There was a photo of a small box pluuged in to a Headphone socket.
I live in Oz and have phoned around Dick Smith, Tandy etc but no-one has any.
If I have to order them from the USA I want to get the right thing, not some crap.
Thanks

There are probably many wireless headphone sets out there... and I know this doesn't answer your question, but since I see the oppurtunity, let me chime in.

If you ever had the desire to design and market a very robust set of wireless headphone... the kind where you can drop in water, step on, leave on all year and come back the next to see they still work... let me know... I'll develop those for you. BUT, they won't cost 19.95 (from china). They will be American made, and robust to last you 5 lifetimes!!!! (the way stuff used to be built, and rock solid).

sorry, I just had to vent there. I hate Chinese crap.... You spend 20 bucks on something that lasts 6 months, but you buy an american made product for $190, and in 50 years, you can still sell it for that same amount, because it STILL WORKS!.

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Mike... Will keep you in mind

The Cat

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would be real worried that there would be some sort of cross-talk (even if below the audible threshold).

One time I tried to continue detecting, while I had a blue-tooth under my earphone cup (a stubborn husband who figured I could talk on my cell phone to my wife and detect all at the same time ;D). While doing this, I got an iffy signal that I wanted to check out. But naturally, since I was "on a call", I couldn't stop to dig it, till the call was over. Once the call was over (and the blue-tooth connection to my phone was stopped), I swung over the suspected iffy signal. I noticed that it immediately cleared up and became a nicer repeater, rather than an iffy signal. I can only assume that the blue-tooth interaction with the phone on my belt was causing this. But what was wierd was, there was no "chatter" while I was on the call itself, meaning that the interference was not enough to cause noticeable cross-talk. Yet it WAS enough to cause loss of depth.

I'd be real careful to make sure that the frequencies don't interact. Even if not the exact same bands, maybe even "being close" can still make a slight impact. Ie.: just like how same -brands will cause longer range cross-talk (because they're on the exact same frequency), but differing brands have lesser cross-talk. However, if you get those "differing brands" close enough, they WILL cross-talk, but just to a lesser degree than same-brands. So for this reason, I wonder if even a differeing frequency of blue-tooth, might still cause a suble loss of performance? And unlike a cell-phone call, where the tooth is only working when a call is in place, the md earphone tooth would be in use all the time, eh?

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
The Radio Shack headphones are not blue tooth. They are simple wireless phones. I have used them around all kinds of power lines, transformers and anywhere else I happen to hunt. So far I have never noticed any kind of interference, or added noise.

Thanks,
Mark

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wonder how much weight when added to the detector.

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Don't know where my post went !!!??? Anyway, Thanks for your comments. I am just sick of curly cords tangling. I would be happy with FM or Bluetooth if it saves hassle and I will be aware of possible signal loss.
Cheers guys

The Cat

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Weight is next to nothing. The transmitter is tiny, and very light. Probably not much different than the headphone cord.

As for signal. I am very happy with the performance. They are certainly far better than my back-up plug in headphones for sound quality, and pretty close to what I get out of my Pro-Golds.

The headphones themselves are very light. Wrap around the back of your head, and clip over your ears. They have a foam cover that is up against your ear.

I've been using my all the time since I got them this summer. Much cooler than regular headphones too.

Good Luck,
Mark

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
They sound what I'm looking for Mark. Hunting in the heat here in Oz with the likes of the Koss Phones can be unbearable for me. I have to keep emptying the sweat out of them. Very unhealthy. I clean them up with colloidal silver after use as I don't want ear infections. Summer temps here can be up to 40 deg Celcius. I don't go out if it is hotter.

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
OK. I've done it.
I went to the city today and around the shops and finally found some Digitech AA-2072 2.4 GHz.
Run them on USB or Power Supply or 2x AA batteries with 2 x AAA Batteries in the headset. I have run a number of tests using computer music and a little Gold Snoop Detector and all seems great! They even plug straight into the Snoop with no extra plugs. Can't get the microwave or phone or beer bottle to interfere with them....
I will need a 3mm to 1/4 adapter plug for the MXT but..
Thanks for your help guys

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone decides to get Bluetooth, then READ READ READ THE INSTRUCTIONS......comes from experience....a real bad experience.
I got them, and plugged them in, then turned them on for the first time. DON'T DO THAT. The instructions tell you, in quite small print, to turn them on first, get the receiver and sender units answering each other, then plug them into your detector.
Well, Bluetooth REPROGRAMMED MY COMPUTER, so I couldn't hear anything except when I had the Bluetooth plugged in.
Secondly, Bluetooth is made in China, and it DOES NOT hold up in the wild. Maybe good for a couch potato listening to one t.v. while wifey is listening to another.....but out in the wilds, needing to change batteries in it......forget it.
I wrote to Bluetooth, telling them my honest opinion of their headset for metal detectors, but they didn't bother to answer me.
Now I have cordless from Target, and doing okay. But, not able to use the Bluetooth-reprogrammed detector to this day.
(And it was a nice detector, too. :( )

OP
OP
Wildcat

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
It will be interesting to hear of your impression. I see that they are also 2.4 GHz
I note that the MXT recommends 60db headphones whereas yours are 90db However I have never been able to discern the difference between most of them.

The Cat

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
I got the headphones this evening, have not been out side with them yet. But I did test them in side, and they worked great :icon_thumright: :headbang:, I did not hear any other interferance. They are 2.4 ghz, bluetooth. I'm going to give them a try out side tomarrow, and get some video with sound from the headphones themselves.
Creative CB2530.

[youtube=425,350]zARSuG7m6Go[/youtube]

Update: out of my day metal detecting around the house, I was 98% interferance free. Only interferance was one time I got close to some 220v wires near an air compresor, and the other time was when I put my pin pointer closr to my head. Other than that it was great. I had no interactions between my metal detector, and the headphones. I love them, the heck with wires getting tangled.

Attachments

• 101_0919.JPG
    101_0919.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 392

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread