How to ask permission / PLEASE HELP US?????????

B

bshunter

Hello all,

I am new to this great hobby & wanted to find out the best way to ask permission to search someones property & thought you all might have the answer / suggestion ???. I have been at it for about 2 weeks with my wife. We both own White's Spectrum XLT series E detectors & are finding alot of clad & some old stuff, but would love to search the old houses & places in the old towns around us here in Texas. I just know there could be something great just waiting for us to dig up ;D. Any help is greatly appriciated!!

God Bless & HH
Balch Springs Hunter

AKA ~ BSHUNTER 8)

Upvote 0
T

tas2826

I would say just tell them what you are doing, explain how you do it, i.e. find, dig, fill. They may say no, they may say yes, but I want to see what you find, or they may not care at all what you find. Or maybe offer to give them an item or 2 of your finds as payment if they seem interested. I just started detecting and have not had the opportunity to try anywhere but parks or my back yard, but this is how I plan on approaching it when the day comes.

T.

L

LEVERK5102

Hey Hunter

? Pretty much all I do are houses. I would say 8 out of 10 times they say yes. I just tell them that I detect for a hobby and I'm looking for the older coins or tokens that have been lost. The last house I detected the people were so nice. They gave me nectarines off there trees and grapes from their vines. The lady also gave me some good leads on some homesteads from the 1800s

? Before you go digging on someones property make sure you are able to dig correctly. What I mean by that is if you make it look like you were never there after you are finished detecting. This will even help you to get other opportunities.

? ?Goodluck Kerry

OP
OP
B

bshunter

OK THANKS, I WILL LET EVERONE KNOW HOW IT GOES ;D

GOD BLESS,
BSHUNTER ;)

S

sumo_wres

Try this:

15 May 04
Mr.XXXXXXXX
This may sound like a strange request, so let me introduce myself: My name is ______ a member of the ______, currently live_________. We will be visiting your fine country soon and I need to ask permission on the following. Normally I would prefer to approach you in person, however I feel that a letter before hand is a better emissary than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy.
I have been engaged in the hobby of metal detecting for twenty years and find it a healthful, enjoyable pastime that allows me to meet many interesting people. The thrill of finding old coins, buttons, etc. is very exciting to me.
Recently, I have researched information that Singapore and some of the beaches surrounding it goes back many years. I would like to obtain permission for a friend and myself to detect your park property beaches.
I want you to understand that I always respect the property that I search and try to leave it in the same condition that I found it. Normally the targets are no deeper than 4 or 5 inches and I retrieve them such that the ground appears not to be disturbed. I will also find and discard any trash (bottle Tops, Pull Tabs, Foil, etc), I may find within the beaches to protect all people from injury and discard of it properly.
In addition, I would like to offer my services to you. Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a valuable ring, a cache or a tool. I would be willing to assist just for the thrill of the search.
I have attached my e-mail for your convenience and would be happy to meet with you if further discussion is required.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread