MXT and CW Relic Hunting

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have just bought my first White's MXT and was wondering if anyone would share some info with me. All I hunt is CW relics and I need to talk to some relic folks here....My questions are as follows.....

How do you guys set up your MXT's when you go CW relic hunting? i.e. threshold, discrimination...etc. What do you set it on?

What do you adjust when you get in to a "trashy" area? i.e. threshold, discrimination...etc. What do you set it on?

What range of VDI numbers do you guys usually dig?

I am super excited about this machine. I've never had a "good" detector. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crashbro17x

crashbro17x

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300 w/950 coil, Bounty Hunter, Discover 3300 w/a 10" Bounty Hunter, Magnum Power Search Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
The thing is, those VDI numbers don't mean anything for moderately deep targets. As soon as you turn up the first plug of grass, the signal changes. The only way you can trust the vdi #'s is if the target is shallow(generally speaking). You also have to make sure that you swing the coil directly over the target to get the most accurate vdi. So the first thing to always do when you are trying to get an idea of the vdi is to pinpoint ACCURATELY, then swing directly over the center of the target. This will help you tell if iron or not, but that's about it if the target is deep.

I run in relic, wide open sensitivity, no discrimination 99 percent of the time. Crank it!

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
Seems to me like "wide-open" is the way to go for relic hunting...I mean are you trying to avoid finding big old hunks of iron? Say...a civil war cannonball? LOL. I'm just saying in the world of relics, even junk targets can be good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread