Just Learning - Help with pinpointing

T

tas2826

I just got a dtector last week. A Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker. I have a limited budget and wanted to try the hobby for a while before getting too carried away. Anyway, I have found some pennies and a nickel, mainly in my yard. However, I am having trouble with marking where to dig. I am doing as the manual says and "X"ing the spot of the signal, but I always seem to be off. So my question is, does the signal occur when the edge of the coil passes over the target or when the center of the coil passes over? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Or, better yet, suggestions for the Fast Tracker specifically?

Thanks,

Troy

Upvote 0

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
The spot on your coil will not be the same as someone else's due to differences in manufacturing. What I did was to get a large piece of cardboard (washing machine box) and taped various coins and other objects to it about a ft or better apart. Then lay it coin side down on a clean scanned chunk of your lawn. Locate a target with your detector and then pierce the cardboard with a probe of some kind and see how close you are to the object. With practice you should get real close.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions