detecting and hearing loss

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what you cant and can hear but I know that the Black widow headphones are real popular for detectorists who have hearing problems. I also heard of an adapter that was made that would plug into the headphone plug and it had a light that would go of when you hit a target. Hope this helps.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may not be a problem, depending on what headphones you use. For instance, the Black Widows (http://www.detectorpro.com/blackwidow.htm) have a "Frequency response: 200 - 3200 Hz... only what your detector uses." I've always been intrigued by this statement...do all detector's tones fall into this freq range? I don't know for sure.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always go out with someone and check out their detector and see how the headphones works for you.......Matt

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I have a forty percent over loss in my good ear. A sixty five percent loss in the other ear, The hire the frequency the bigger the loss from acoustic trauma.

A good head set and turn the volume up a little, and you my do OK. Put a computer chip in it for flashing lights when you strike the mother lode, LOL.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you get a detector that has the VCO capability, hearing loss is not a problem

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a high freq loss in one ear. I'm not sure if I am missing something or not since I wouldn't hear it in the first place. Actually I can hear sounds, just can't tell what is being said if it is conversation. Monty

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
My hearing was messed up in the military working communications.

Most detectors us Threshold tones well below that.

Head phones and Do it!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently upgraded to a Minelab Safari and it has so many tones compared to my old detector I had and still to some degree have a problem deciphering all of them. I am just wondering if I am hearing what everyone else is or if I am missing something? Don't know how I would find out. I bought a freq modulater adapter thingy as someone suggested but I am finding it is just some more wires to be in the way when I am hunting. But I am doing much better with the Safari now so my ears must be adapting. Monty

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I have some holes in my hearing in both ears from too many years working with machines. Being young and invincible I never used to use hear protection. Apparently my hearing wasn't as invincible as I was?

I have digital hearing aids, which are great, except while detecting with headphones on.

I use some ProGolds, and a wireless amplified set when its too hot. My hearing works well enough that I had a great year.

I did come across something I found interesting here on treasurenet. It's a Koss equalizer that would let you adjust the frequenies going to your headphones. Interesting and inexpensive ($20) option.

Here is a link to the thread http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,206397.0.html

I just wonder how hard it would be to retrain yourself and how you get the same frequencies for good stuff every time?

Good Luck,
Mark

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I have a high freq loss in one ear. I'm not sure if I am missing something or not since I wouldn't hear it in the first place. Actually I can hear sounds, just can't tell what is being said if it is conversation. Monty
I love my Black Widow phones for comfort and hearing all the tones the various detectors use. The only detectors I can't use them on are the water detectors that have their phones hardwired.

I had a gal in my group that always managed to find the smallest gold with her Tesoro and Grey Ghost phones, however when asked for her secrete she said, she listens for almost a sound. Now to me it is either a sound or not................

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I have a pin pointer for when I get a signal with my detector , I'll stitch over and the pin pointer will pulsate and vibrate slightly with a strong signal.

My hearing loss makes vibrations more sensitive and the pin pointer will verify if I heard a good signal or not. I happen to be a Garrett owner but I'm sure other brands work equally as well.

My pin pointer is a new item to me but I'm very satisfied that I picked one up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread