Why do coins end up on edge?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gophers push them up that way so that you can't find them.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do coins end up on edge?

If you drop a coin in soft sand you will find it usually lands on edge or at least tilted.

If you drop it on hard ground it will still tend to land on edge but then flops over on its side.

So, back in the days of the wild wild west, most coins lost were on edge (small target). Added to this they would have been driven even deeper by the traffic on the muddy street. This is why when hunting the streets of old ghost towns one needs a very deep seeking detector.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin ends up on angle or on edge when it falls in say tall grass then the guy on the mower runs it over with the wheel pushing it down on edge one theory or a person steps on it thats #2

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
reading your post free brought to mind when i was about 10-12 at the beach,,,we crawled under a walkway at the motel near the soda machines...when we crawled out we had nearly 30 dollars in coins.............as to the question about coins on edge, i always thought the pink panther had something to do with it.......please pass the el-toro...................gldhntr

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Actually it's probably caused by growing grass and weeds playing heads or tails. As the grass grows, it lifts the coins from a flat position to an on edge one. Then to top it off they push them into soil cracks nearby.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
wayne_etc said:
Zeb said:
When are they going to put Bill's image on a coin?

I was thinking Kerry, but with only 10 posts under my belt I didn't want to go there.? Yet.? Oops, I just did. ;D

w

Well then we wouldnt have to dig any more at least...people would be tossing those coins on the ground like hotcakes...hmmmm...but I havent really found any hotcakes on the ground lately either....?Okay....so they would be tossing them coins like pulltabs...there we go ! :-*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread