Shopping for an upgrade.

trminton

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300
Hey guys,

I had used detectors before in the early 90's before just recently getting back into coin collecting and metal detecting so while I am relatively new, I am not a total newb. Recently, I was given a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and it was not very good at all and very frustrating. I recently bought an Ace 250 and love it. In fact, I love it so much that I have the bug and want to upgrade to the best machine I can afford which is around $1000. I have kind of narrowed it down to a few companies and models and wanted to see if there were any serious and informed opinions on them. Here they are and not in order of favorites:

1. Garrett 2500 GTI
2. Garrett 1500 GTI
3. Fisher F75
4. Fisher F70
5. Tesoro Cortes
6. Tesoro Deleon
7. Teknetics T2
8. Minelab ????????

Warranty is a big factor and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why some of the older companies like Whites and Garrett have such a terrible warranty? Whites used to be one of my favorites but a 2 year warranty? I like the Ace 250 and because of that I will consider another Garrett but they also are only 2 years I believe. Why is that? I see 5 year warranties from Fisher and Bounty Hunter and even a lifetime from Tesoro so are they that much better?

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you can swing another 400, I'd get a minelab e trac.
I'm going to be getting one as soon as I have enough saved up

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what it appears in my opinion, the waranty went down when they went to electronic displays, more parts to fail.

Personally, I don't worry about the waranty, I have bought 2 new detectors and 6 used since I started and had just as a good luck with the used, and saved a ton of money in the process as the original buyer is the one who ate the depreciation, not me.

Example, I bought 3 used Excal 1000s, new cost would been $1050 for original, $1395 for Excal II.

My cost first one. $800 with straight shaft (no repairs, sold for $725 18 months later) Saved $325 over new price wih shaft, found 2 diamond rings, several gold and more silver, sold it for $75 less then I paid 18 months later.,

My cost second one. $650 ( still own it 2 years later, in shop twice for total $150 round trip) found couple more diamond rings, plus gold and silver. Still $250 under cost of new. I could get $650-$750 if I sold it with accessories.

My cost third one $ 475 ( still own, no repairs) Adding used WOT $90, building own straight shaft Total $600, $650 under cost of new Excal II. I could get $600-$750 if I sold it with accessories.

Example I have bought 2 Sovereign GTs one new, one used.

New Sov GT with WOT coil and spare battery and extended warranty..$1050 Still own, No repairs in 2 years.

Used Sov GT customized to be water proof with WOT coil, and spare battery pack......$600 Still own 18 months later, no repairs on sov, repaired crack coil myself. Saved $475 over cost of new one, not counting the water proof housing and mod, another $175 value. I could get $600-700 if I sold it with accessories.

I have a Whites 6000 XL PRO I bought used for $450 3 years ago. I can get $450 for it now.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Treasure_Hunter said:
Example, I bought 3 used Excal 1000s, new cost would been $1050 for original, $1395 for Excal II.

Why is it $1400? ..Wait, I see you live in FL. and maybe bought it from Kellyco, also in FL.
All taxes to the base $1200 price tag? ??? :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SYKO said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Example, I bought 3 used Excal 1000s, new cost would been $1050 for original, $1195 for Excal II.

Why is it $1400? ..Wait, I see you live in FL. and maybe bought it from Kellyco, also in FL.
All taxes to the base $1200 price tag? ??? :dontknow:

No it was a typo on my part, suppose to say $1195, not $1395. ....I corrected original post.... Thanks Syko for pointing it out :icon_thumright:

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1000.00 to spend then you have got to get the Safari by Minelab. I have it as a backup and boy its one great coin getting machine without all of the complications. You wont be disappointed.

OP
OP
trminton

trminton

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300
I think I have narrowed down the choices of companies and models. I really like Garrett, Whites, Tesoro and Minelab. I think I am turned off from Fisher and Teknetics since I have a bounty hunter and HATE it.

The Garrett 2500 really looks good to me. I just wonder how much better of a unit it is compared to the Ace 250. I know it has many more features, but will I find more?

The Whites DFX and the MXT look good and I have always loved Whites. Many like them too but I am not a fan of the displays. The Spectra has me interested but man it is way too expensive. From what I hear there are problems with them too. If I can afford to shell out for one of those, then I should consider the Minelab E-trac instead.

Tesoro has the lifetime warranty and I like pots instead of all digital. The Cortes and Deleon even have displays and did I mention the Lifetime Warranty? Many here like them too. I will have to relearn ground balancing since the last time I did that was with the Whites 4000/D. The Ace 250 has me spoiled.

Minelab is the least known to me but I also hear good things about their technology. Again, many like them. They really look sophisticated and cutting edge.

I research things to death as you can see..... ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are like cars and women, they all have features you like and ones you can live without. Ground balancing is easy to do and you should have it mastered in five seconds. The entry level detectors that have a set GB like the Ace 250 work well in a lot of parts of the country, but not everyone is lucky to live in those places. It depends on what kind of fun you want from the detector too and the options you like. Red heads, Blondes or Brunettes, four wheel drive, OnStar, E85 gas or plain Jane rice burner. You don't always get what you pay for.

I have a GTI 1500 and it isn't my go to coin machine and the 2500 is almost the same only with more features and $$$. I like my DFX but hardly use the screen and I mainly like pushing the buttons. It could be lots lighter like the Tesoro's. I really enjoy the older Fisher 1235-X for coin hunting. It was made when Fisher meant Quality and had a Lifetime warranty too.

The Minelabs like the Sovereign GT are extremely good machines only without a screen that lies to ya anyway. As you can tell I don't care for depending on screens and would rather be suprised when I uncover the goodie. I've used many different detectors and brands and even I haven't settled on the best one because I do so much different types of detecting. :coffee2:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have always leaned towards the Whites and Garretts.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a MInelab Safari and although a little hard to learn, I have read nothing but good stuff on it. It sells for around a thousand bucks. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread